Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Year In Movies

So, I've been asked to look over my year so far in 2009 movies. I've created a list of all my grades -- laying it out, looking at the percentage of movies that fall under each grading categories. Fifty movies so far this year...let's see how things pan out. So, here it is...in order from Best to Worst...

A *** 0/50 = 0%
None

A- *** 1/50 = 2%

B+ *** 2/50 = 4%

B *** 6/50 = 12%

B- *** 4/50 = 8%

C+ *** 4/50 = 8%

C *** 5/50 = 10%

C- *** 4/50 = 8%

D+ *** 6/50 = 12%

D *** 6/50 = 12%

D- *** 6/50 = 12%

F *** 6/50 = 12%

I am actually quite surprised by how evenly my ratings are spread out after I go below B+. As I was building the list, I was actually quite pleased with the way the ratings panned out. At this stage in the game, looking at the list from Best to Worst, I think the ratings are right on target. I've been known to change a rating or two a week (or month) or so after I've watched a movie, but looking at the above, I'm quite pleased with the way things are rated now.

I would say that anything C+ or above would be something that I would recommend people to see. Therefore, based on the above ratings, I would say that of the fifty movies I've seen, I would say that 17 movies -- or 34% -- would be worth your watching. Not too bad at this point, but I've got a bunch of crappy movies from January through April left to watch...and August looks like a shitfest, too...ugh...

I'll update this around the first day of each month for the rest of the year...

4 comments:

  1. August really doesn't look that bad.
    GI Joe is going to be horrible. (possibly worse than Transformers)
    Post Grad, Halloween II and Shorts is probably going to be... Yeah.
    But there's Julie&Julia, District 9, Ponyo, Inglorious Basterds, Final Destination, and Taking Woodstock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you're right about August...I just keep thinking that it starts with G.I. Joe and that's just painful.

    I was looking ahead at wide releases just a second ago and I definitely should've been dreading September...there's a ton of movies coming out and I don't think a quarter of them look worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So if you're watching everything and there's Saw VI in October are you going to watch them all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am watching everything now...No, I will not subject myself to all the Saws...that's what Wikipedia summaries are for...

    ReplyDelete