Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Movie Review - The Uninvited (2009)

**Available on DVD**
Starring Emily Browning, Arielle Kebbel, David Strathairn, and Elizabeth Banks
Written by Craig Rosenberg and Doug Miro
Directed by Charles Guard and Thomas Guard

Despite above-par acting from lead Emily Browning and a delightfully B-movie-esque performance from Elizabeth Banks, The Uninvited can't rise out of the ranks of an "average" horror film. I feel like I've seen this movie before -- mentally unstable teenager believes that Dad's new girlfriend may have killed the teen's mother, but no one will believe her because everyone thinks the teen's a little crazy. Nothing really new here.

Admittedly, the twist ending was ruined for me, but even had I come to this flick without any knowledge of it, I still don't think I would feel any different. I will say, though, that the shot where the "reveal" happens was kind of nifty. The flick was adequate and worth a rental if the horror genre is your cup of tea. I will give the film props for not being overly bloody or overly crude/graphic/etc. It's, in fact, a very tame PG-13 horror flick. However, it may have been a little better had it veered a little more towards the R side, rather than the PG side.

The RyMickey Rating: C

1 comment:

  1. I get why you think that based on who else you like...Personally, I wouldn't go so far as to say phenomenally hot (or even hot, for that matter). Attractive, sure, I'll give you that...

    ReplyDelete