Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Monday, June 08, 2009

Movie Review - The Hangover (2009)

Starring Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, and Heather Graham
Written by Jon Lucas and Scott Moore
Directed by Todd Phillips


Jon Lucas and Scott Moore also penned this summer's Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, which, if you'll look at my review, you'll see I wasn't incredibly fond of. These guys, unfortunately, didn't improve upon that experience for me with The Hangover. While certainly raunchier, the flick doesn't really have a heart or a soul or a reason to give a damn about these four guys who visit Vegas for a bachelor party, get totally wasted, can't remember a thing that happened to them, and get into all kinds of trouble looking for the groom-to-be who has gotten lost in the midst of their 12 hours of drug-induced mayhem.

I was with the movie for a good 35-45 minutes. I was moderately laughing and kind of enjoying myself, but then I soon realized two things:

1) That all the jokes were occurring in the exact same order that they appeared in the trailer, so I was able to pinpoint "Hey, there's gonna be a tiger in that bathroom" or "Mike Tyson's gonna listen to Phil Collins' 'In the Air Tonight' now."

2) These guys were assholes and I wanted them to never find their friend. I was actually rooting for the guy to be dead (because then, at least, he wouldn't have to hang around with these guys). There's something wrong with that picture. I never for once felt like these guys were friends (they were all so radically different that they just felt like they were randomly thrown together "types" of guys who might be funny if put in the same room).

A few years ago there was a movie with a somewhat similar premise -- Very Bad Things -- that was a little nastier in its execution (at a bachelor party in Vegas a prostitute is killed and the friends begin to turn on each other), but it worked a little better for me (then again, it's been years since I've seen it and it could be horrendously awful to me now). The Hangover just didn't connect for me.

Once again, I guess, it stems back to the need to "care" about the characters (I get ridiculed for this, so I'm gonna explain it again). It's not that I need to like the characters at all, but I need to have a rooting interest in them. Your movie can focus on assholes, but I need to root for those assholes to get what they want/need (note: they can want/need something bad/illegal/wrong, but I need to want/need them to get the bad thing). I need to root for Hannibal Lector to eat that guy's brain. I need the incredibly childish brothers in Step Brothers to succeed in pissing each other off (FYI -- I thought I had written a review of that flick, but that's a recent raunchy comedy that I found hilarious).

These guys in this flick didn't have me wanting or needing anything except for the movie to be over.

The RyMickey Rating: D+

8 comments:

  1. It was a simple explanation, sir...I almost went with a Norman Bates reference, but I went that route. Plus, that scene where he feeds Ray Liotta's brain to him in Hannibal is still so frickin' cool to me...

    That was a quick response, too...I just went back to proof it and, lo and behold, you've already posted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...I swear that I wrote this before I read Entertainment Weekly's review...not only does Owen Gleiberman talk about "Very Bad Things" but he also mentions that everyone in this movie is a "type" which I mention was a big problem for me in this flick

    If I'm using the same words as that guy, why am I not getting paid for this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt that way about Burn After Reading.
    If my feeling after the movie (or even during - but I typically go with an after) towards the characters is "So, what?" - definitely unenjoyable/ungood overall.

    I think I've got something there with 'ungood'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, yep...they don't need to be nice people, but I need to at least care about what happens to them...

    That being said, I didn't really feel that way after "Burn After Reading," but I could see why anyone could feel that way, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But Jeff - don't you care about Will?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane - I can't watch him without thinking of him getting beaten up in season two which then shifts my mind to thoughts of Evil Francie...I love Evil Francie!

    "Francie doesn't like coffee ice cream!" I love it!

    I need to watch it again!

    FYI -- Top Chef Masters starts tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are a re-tard for not liking this movie. Was that joke funny or did it not fit the plotline enough for you. Was the character development inadequate for that joke to occur. Get a life, you loser! I don't have to care about the fat guy for him to reel off a stupid one-liner. And you don't have to post a reply to this because I don't care what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeffrey H. After I thoroughly read through your review precisely three times, I felt compelled to disagree to the shame you have subjected this movie to endure. You may not be able to understand most of the jokes in this movie because of your elementary grading however, I implore you to revisit this movie and pay close attention to every detail so far as a cigarette in strangers pocket. By doing so you will understand a greater deal of this movies well thought out humor that you have no common sense to rate, but rather yet ignore the first 30 minutes of. On to my next page about the ending time with the balls-out asian comedy. You believe these scenes do not correspond whatsoever with the movie, however. After viewing the camera photos at the end you would soon understand the significance of the asian and the fat-man who won 80,000. I will now though explain this, as with you education it could take hours. Instead, let you see for yourself.
    P.S. Tigers like pepper on their stake and not cinnamon. They hate Cinnamon. If you want to know how i have learned this FACT watch Rain-man-2 compute his genius algorithms.
    (He won 160k not asian dude) cause he is a retard like JEW---->>>>>Jeff :O

    ReplyDelete