Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Sunday, July 05, 2009

A Book a Week - I Am America (And So Can You!)


Book Twenty-Nine of the Book-A-Week Quest

I Am America (And So Can You!)
by Stephen Colbert (2007)

I don't really watch The Colbert Report, but I'd certainly rather watch Colbert than Jon Stewart's mug on The Daily Show. If they must make fun of my peeps (that'd be us conservatives...and note, us conservatives are certainly hip enough to use the term "peeps"), I'd rather be made fun of by someone who's at least pretending to be one us.

Colbert's book is clever -- a manifesto, of sorts, detailing how his conservative America would look if all liberals understood the errors of their ways (I kid, I kid...sort of...).
I laughed aloud several times as he takes his conservative character to outrageous extremes. That being said, the book is about 100 pages too long. Halfway through, I was getting bored of his humor...it kind of felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again. Sure, there were certainly bits and pieces in the 2nd half that were clever, but it just got to be too repetitive.

Overall, though, a funny book. As a young person with conservative leanings, I can honestly say that I laughed more than enough to recommend the book.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this book a lot. I don't remember it a lot though.

    If you wanna read Jon Stewart's pseudo-textbook I own it :) Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a Jon Stewart fan...I'm gonna pass on that one.

    Got your text about the book and I'm looking foward to reading it it. It's 2nd in line, so as long as you don't need it back within a week, I'm gonna take it on my next shift.

    ReplyDelete