Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Movie Review - Don't Look Down (No mires para abajo) (2009)

***Available on DVD***

starring Leandro Stivelman and Antonella Costa

written and directed by Eliseo Subiela


Having never heard of this movie before, the only reason I watched this is because a buddy saw it at the Philly Film Festival and thought it was good. Me, being jealous that he went to the Philly Film Festival looked up all the movies he saw on Netflix and was surprised that this one was actually already available to watch on dvd. So, although I didn't get to go to the Festival, I could kind of pretend like I did by watching this Argentinean film right away. And, adding to the excitement was the fact that the buddy mentioned above actually liked this one.

Well...despite the fact that I was able to stare at some lovely breasts for 60 minutes, there was not much to this film at all. Seriously, it was two people having sex, late-night Cinemax (pardon, Skinemax) style with the requisite bad ethnic music in the background. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, these sex scenes were certainly erotically charged and I guess the sex meant something in this (more than in the aforementioned Skinemax movies, at least) but, in the end, I really didn't get what it meant...even though I'm 100% certain that the director was trying to get it to mean something.

I thought that the lead guy (Steivelman) was an atrocious actor. I mean, I'll give him credit (along with the girl) for being naked the whole time. I agree that it's bound to be uncomfortable...but I was watching it and, no joke, I honestly felt like he was mildly mentally challenged -- there's a scene of him driving down the road on his bike and his awkward facial expressions made me crack up (I don't think I was supposed to either, although who knows when it comes to these wacky Argentineans). The gal (Costa) was an infinitely better actress than the guy was, and, since they shared a lot of scenes together, it made him look awful.

There was a ton of meta-physical mumbo-jumbo and some weird "mental traveling" thing, but that was all much too odd for me.

Now, I will say that if I went to a Film Festival, for some odd reason, this is exactly the kind of funky film I'd expect to have seen. I may have even liked it more had I seen it in that context. But in the context I saw it in, it was not very good at all.


The RyMickey Rating: D
(and, let's be honest here, the only reason it rated that high was because of the nice boobs)

3 comments:

  1. Justin...you are right...an hour of boobs...I'm not complaining about the hour of boobs...

    I was just coming on here to edit that the reason it got a 'D' was simply because of the hour of boobs.

    And Thomas...yes, when he was on that bicycle, he was riding and was not happy and then he gradually started to smile with some weird, freaky looking grin, I swear that the first thing that popped into my head was that this guy had a mental challenged...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ "guy was mentally challenged" not "had a mental challenged"

    ReplyDelete