Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Movie Review - Duplicity (2009)

Starring Julia Roberts, Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti, and Tom Wilkinson

Written and Directed by Tony Gilroy


Despite the fact that there are four really good actors in Duplicity (and, yes, I am including Julia Roberts in that bunch), this spy "comedy" just sits there onscreen, not really doing a thing to engage the viewer.

Roberts and Owen are Claire and Ray, two corporate spies who, after meeting and falling in love, team up to try and swindle their bosses (Wilkinson and Giamatti) out of as much money as possible. But are they also playing each other in this game, or do they truly care for one another? The answer: I really didn't care.

Personally, I liked the way the film was set up, bouncing back and forth between present-day and flashbacks to the past. Eventually the two come together for the "big reveal," but, like I've said above, instead of being this crazy revelation, it lands with a thud.

Problem #1 was that this film tried to be a light comedy in addition to being a spy thriller and it should not have tried to do that. The laughs fell flat. There's a scene over the opening credits that is supposed to be funny, but it ends up being simply too forced and winds up just being silly. Problem #2, which branches off of the flat comedy aspect, is that Roberts and Owen had zippo chemistry. In their previous screen pairing, Closer (which I certainly recommend), they definitely both exuded a sex appeal, but in this film, I never got that they were connected in any way. They were simply Julia Roberts and Clive Owen instead of Claire and Ray. In a movie like this, sexual tension is absolutely necessary in order for the sly humor to work and there was no tension here at all.

I initially came out of this thinking that I'd give it a 'C' simply because I liked the way it looked (director Gilroy employed some cool, retro split screens) and the supporting cast was quite strong, but after thinking about it some more, I'm knocking it down a degree. Certainly disappointing.

The RyMickey Rating: C-

2 comments:

  1. Right? It was seriously at least 3 minutes long. I kinda liked the music, but it wasn't funny...and it was absolutely supposed to be.

    Hah! Old people fighting! That'll make 'em laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched that part when walking by one day...

    I just stared blankly at it.

    ReplyDelete