Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Movie Review - Land of the Lost (2009)

Starring Will Ferrell, Danny McBride, and Anna Friel
Written by Chris Henchy and Dennis McNicholas
Directed by Brad Siberling


I'm keeping this brief because this one was horrendously bad.

The problem with this movie is that it doesn't know who it wants its audience to be. It's not raunchy enough to be aimed at an adult PG-13 crowd, but it is certainly too risqué for anyone under the age of 11 to see it. To me, they were marketing this to kids, and parents will be sorely upset if they take their kids to see this. Sex and drug references abound and, while they fall flat on adult ears, they shouldn't be heard by kids.

The worst "big budget" film of the summer by far at this point. Really, everything is awful here...Will Ferrell...the direction...the story...the set design...I could keep going...

The only thing saving it from an 'F' is that I laughed three or four times, Anna Friel is kinda hot (and she was completely wasted in this role...didn't they see her charm in tv's Pushing Daisies?), and the end credit sequence (with music by Michael Giacchino) is kinda cool. Other than that, a waste of time.

The RyMickey Rating: D-

5 comments:

  1. Michael Giacchino is everywhere this summer. Up, Star Trek, this. Lost too.

    And it seems I dodged a bullet :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also. Roger Ebert gave it 3 stars. Which means he gave it a better rating than Star Trek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ebert's done...he holds no credibility anymore...

    He says the movie was "wacky." Wacky's a nice word for stupid, Roger.

    Roger Ebert, you're wacky...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it does suck. and I have no desire to really see it. but...have you ever seen the series? as far as set design, it seemed like it was actually going for the right thing to be true to the series (which was hokey and not good either) from what i could see in the trailers. I thought it looked bad, but I saw what they were going for.
    I don't know why I'm attempting to defend the set design, but I felt like commenting on it since I just watched two episodes of the series on tv.
    maybe they should have just used claymation dinosaurs in this one too. it probably would have been better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The problem, brother, is that it looked "too good." I realize that the series was a low budget corn-fest, and even though the set looked corny beyond belief, it look too big budget.

    It's like it was "too fake" if that makes sense...

    ReplyDelete