Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Movie Review - Hannah Montana: The Movie (2009)

Starring Miley Cyrus, Billy Ray Cyrus, Vanessa Williams, Melora Hardin, and Emily Osment
Written by Daniel Berendsen
Directed by Peter Chelsom


Don't ask why I watched this. My friend is watching every single movie that is being released this year, and this one was giving him trouble, so I agreed to watch it with him.

In the end, it wasn't awful.

I've been forced to watch Hannah Montana when watching my little cousin and I cannot stand Miley Cyrus as an actress (it makes me long for the days of Shia LaBeouf on Even Stevens...now that was a good show!). I was expecting nothing from her in this flick. However, she was shockingly watchable. As was the entire movie itself.

Miley Stewart, for the most part, is a normal girl from California. But, unbeknownst to most, she is also singing superstar Hannah Montana in her other life. Miley simply wants the best of both of these worlds, but is unable to manage both sides of her life. Her father thinks she's getting a big head (along with those big teeth <-- low blow, I know), so he secretly flies her back to their hometown of Crowley Corners, Tennessee, to give her a reality check. While there, Miley crushes on some model-ish cowboy, hides from some paparazzi guy searching for Hannah, and manages to save the town from getting taken over by Barry Bostwick. This flick isn't necessarily a good movie, but considering the other junk that's out there for young kids, this film is well done. It looks nice. The acting's okay. The music's not great, but not awful. I don't know...I thought it was decent. Yeah, I know...there's something wrong with me...

The RyMickey Rating: C-

1 comment: