Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, July 02, 2009

Movie Review - Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs 3D (2009)

Featuring the voice talents of Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, Queen Latifah, and Simon Pegg
Written by ?? [I'd love to tell you who it was written by, but imdb has deemed them not important enough to be on the main page anymore. They used to be right where they belonged -- below/above the director on the main page. They've demoted writers to the "Full Cast and Crew" page, but the writers for this flick aren't even there as I type this?!?!]
Directed by Carlos Saldanha and Mike Thurmeier

I know I've seen at least one of the previous Ice Age movies, but I really couldn't tell you a thing about them. They're simple throwaway movies and hold no place in my mind. This flick will join them.

The movie opens oddly, not giving us any backstory at all. I feel like the movie started in the middle of something that I wasn't privy to (if that makes sense). Anyway, woolly mammoths Ellie (Latifah) and Manny (Romano) are expecting a baby. Sabretooth tiger Diego (Leary) realizes that he'll be pushed to the wayside in their roving clique, so he runs away. Meanwhile, sloth Sid discovers three T-Rex eggs and when they hatch he becomes their "mother" which makes Momma T-Rex none too happy. Momma T-Rex picks up her three babies along with Sid and runs into some underground world where dinosaurs still exist (see we're in the Ice Age, so I guess they'd all be extinct). Ellie, Manny, and a recently found Diego decide to band together and save Sid.

By far, the best part of the movie is Buck (Simon Pegg), a British-accented weasel who is some gung-ho, yet crazy, adventurer. Some of the sequences with Buck were quite inspired. Every scene without him lulled me to sleep -- I literally almost fell conked out multiple times during this one.

I should mention that Scrat, the little squirrel in constant search of acorns, is here as well, and the scenes with him are fine...they are just completely time fillers because they don't fit in with the rest of the movie in any way. As little individual 3-minute cartoons, these throwaway scenes with Scrat are fine. As part of the movie, they're a waste.

The RyMickey Rating: D+

No comments:

Post a Comment