Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Second Takes -- Moon and Crank: High Voltage

Just watched two 2009 movies again and they hold up pretty much as I originally thought.

  • I watched Moon again at the Newark Film Festival, and I stand by my original thoughts on it. Rockwell is damn good and the production design is stellar...possibly the best this year. Still, it feels a little long in the middle, but it's certainly a smart film. The B sticks.
  • I was a tad worried to watch Crank: High Voltage again simply because I wondered if watching it the small screen would cause it to lose it's insane allure. It doesn't. The movie is nuts...balls to the wall, take-no-prisoners nuts...and it's great fun. In my original review, I was unsure whether it was so bad it was good or just plain bad. Well, it's just damn good -- ridiculous, but damn good. While not for all tastes, it takes talent to make a movie this spastic actually enjoyable and comprehensible. Kudos to filmmakers Neveldine and Taylor. This is getting upgraded a half point to a B+. And, it's also taking a spot in the Top Ten again after it was removed last week...

1 comment: