Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Book a Week - Our Town


Book Thirty-Five of the Book-a-Week Quest

Our Town
by Thornton Wilder (1938)

Unlike Equus and The Glass Menagerie, the only other plays I've read for this Book a Week Quest, Wilder's Our Town really didn't resonate with me.

The story/dialogue is incredibly simple and I really think this is just one of those plays that doesn't read well on paper. There's a need to watch this unfold onstage in front of you...a need to feel the actors' emotions.

I also know that there's gotta be some deep meaning here that I just didn't get. I guess there's something about stages of life (as the play focuses on "youth" in Act I, "marriage" in Act II, and "death" in Act III) and how we change as people as we get older, but that's not deep at all and really pretty damn obvious.

I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to see this onstage, but I certainly didn't love this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment