Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Movie Review - $9.99 (2008)

Featuring the voice talents of Geoffrey Rush and Anthony LaPaglia
Directed by Tatia Rosenthal

The one thing I can say about this movie that makes it unique is that I'm sure it's the first time you'll have seen full frontal male claymation nudity.

Moving on from that, this animated flick is about a group of people living in an apartment complex and their interweaving lives. Honestly, there's not a whole lot of story here...the tales of the ten or so people that we come across are all very generic and certainly not original (for the most part...although there was an extremely odd tale about a woman who wanted all her sex partners to get their bones sucked out of them...literally...and I don't mean "bones sucked" in a sexual way, you flithy-minded heathens. She literally wanted them to go and have a procedure wherein their bones would be sucked out of their bodies).

Nevertheless, despite the lack of originality, the claymation is what makes this movie unique and places it in the "recommend" category for me. I'm a sucker for claymation (there was a Claymation television special that ran around Christmas when I was little that had two dinosaurs as the hosts trying to find the meaning of the Christmas song "Here We Come a'Wassailing" that I still watch every single year on VHS...I love it!...but enough about that...), and the animation here was pretty damn good. Little things like turns of a head or hand motions had an authenticity to them.

This is a short movie, and while not a great one, I would certainly add this to your netflix queue when it becomes available on dvd...it's 75 minutes that, if you're an animation fan, you'll be happy you watched.

The RyMickey Rating: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment