Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Movie Review - Race to Witch Mountain (2009)

Starring Dwayne Johnson, Carla Gugino, AnnaSophia Robb, Alexander Ludwig, and Ciarán Hinds
Directed by Andy Fickman


I enjoyed this kid pic much more than I probably had a right to...it's not aimed at me at all, but I liked that it was an action flick with moderately exciting sequences and little to no violence. The director managed to work up some tension without ever showing any blood or anyone getting killed. Kudos.

As far as the story goes, an alien spacecraft crashes on Earth and the two human-like passengers (AnnaSophia Robb and Alexander Ludwig) manage to hitch a ride in the cab of Jack Bruno (played by The Rock...pardon me, Dwayne Johnson). Little does Jack know that the government is after these alien life forms and will stop at nothing to get them.

What helps this movie immensely is the surprisingly good acting by Dwayne Johnson. He's funny when he needs to be, caring when some emotion is necessary, and is willing to kick some PG-rated butt when called upon. He's helped by Carla Gugino who plays a paranormal professor. Gugino is really quite winning in this. Her role is by-the-book, but she brings a little something extra to the table which is much appreciated. The two kids were forced to play their roles in a robotic manner and the girl (Robb) fares a little better than the guy (Ludwig). Nevertheless, both were more than adequate.

Like I said above, I was fairly impressed by the action sequences and I must admit that I enjoyed the ride this movie took me on...even if it was suitable for all ages.

The RyMickey Rating: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment