Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Movie Review - The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard (2009)

Starring Jeremy Piven, Ving Rhames, Kathryn Hahn, James Brolin, Ed Helms, David Koechner, Jordana Spiro, Ken Jeong, and Alan Thicke(!)
Directed by Neil Brennen

I laughed surprisingly more than I thought I was going to during The Goods. Sure, Jeremy Piven is a prick (I don't think he was playing a character other than himself), but he was pretty damn funny as was his team of car salesmen (and woman -- the humorous Kathryn Hahn, who was so good in the serious Revolutionary Road) who travel to a small town in order to help James Brolin save his faltering car dealership.

There's really not much else here to discuss as there's no story other than what I wrote above. Similarly to this summer's The Hangover (which I didn't really care for either), this movie had me laughing for the first forty minutes or so, and then it kind of fell flat. That being said, I do think that I laughed more in this than during The Hangover and I liked the actors in this quite a bit more. I know everyone loved that raunchy Vegas movie back in June, but I'm gonna give this one a rating that's a half point higher.

The RyMickey Rating: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment