Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Movie Review - Anvil! The Story of Anvil (2009)

Directed by Sacha Gervasi

Unlike It Might Get Loud's three musicians, I have no desire to go and listen to the heavy metal group Anvil after watching this flick. In fact, if I never hear another word about them, the better.

We are introduced to the band via interviews with rockers like Lars Ulrich of Metallica and Slash from Guns 'n' Roses telling us how influential the 80s metal band Anvil was to them. For some reason or another (we're led to believe that it's because of crappy record labels), Anvil falls into some level of obscurity, all but forgotten except by some loyal (read: crazy) fans. Although lead singer/guitarist Steve "Lips" Kudlow and drummer Robb Reiner are now working normal everyday jobs, they long to return to their roots. When a fan contacts them about becoming their manager and starting a European tour, they jump at the chance. The tour is somewhat of a failure, but it gets Lips in the mood to record another album, attempting to regain the success of his youth.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get past the fact that this felt like a mash-up of VH1's Behind the Music and Reuniting the Band. The film was trying to get me care about these guys, but they're really just two nutty fifty year olds who are going through a mid-life crisis, longing for their youth. There were interviews and moments here that really felt set up, too, which doesn't sit well with me -- for example, we just happen to be sitting with Lips as he reads an e-mail about the fan that I mentioned above who wants to be their manager and set up a world tour...how convenient!

Towards the end of the movie, someone compares Anvil to Rolling Stones and The Who. I may not even care a bunch for those bands, but Anvil is not even in the same category, and pretending that they are makes you lose some credibility.

The RyMickey Rating: D+

4 comments:

  1. boy, you really missed the mark on this movie!

    You are a terrible reviewer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write:

    "I have no desire to go and listen to the heavy metal group Anvil after watching this flick."



    I wish you would have no desire to review movies anymore! YOU SUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No...I think I'm right there on the mark...for me anyway. Yes, I realize that this movie was quite loved by many (and based on rottentomatos, it's one of the best reviewed movies of the year), but I wasn't a fan.

    See, I have my own opinion about things and, should you make some kind of actual argument about why this was a good film maybe I'd take your opinion into consideration and we could have an actual debate. Instead, you hide behind the "Anonymous" banner and simply spew anger because I likely didn't care for one of your buddy's films that showed at the Newark Film Festival.

    ReplyDelete