Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Movie Review - Tyson (2009)

Directed by James Toback

It's apparent that Mike Tyson has been hit one too many times in the boxing ring. Let me just throw out some choice quotes that came out of this guy's mouth.

"I'll fuck you 'til you love me" -To a newspaper reporter who had given him a hard time

"I like to watch women like a tiger watches its prey after it wounded them."

"My insanity is my only sanity."

Believe me...there were a ton more where that came from...those were just the three I wrote down.

This is Tyson's life story, dealing with his youth (he was a thief and a crook), his introduction to boxing, his work with his favorite trainer Cus D'Amato, and his heavyweight championship bouts. While the film certainly does hit on his many significant misfires in life -- his famous failed marriage to Robin Givens, his rape conviction in 1992, his biting of Evander Holyfield's ear in 1997 -- it oftentimes feels like they're glossed over. The only reason I likely am even saying that is that the film is told as an autobiography -- there's no narrator and the only person we hear speak (outside of archival footage) is Tyson himself. I was impressed that he actually spoke about his various issues, but I wanted a little bit more.

The film was a little jumpy, bouncing back and forth in time, and I don't think I needed to see Tyson reading a poem in a voiceover as he walks along the beach at sunset. Still, it was a decent look at this guy...but also showed that, without a doubt, he's nuts.

The RyMickey Rating: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment