Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Monday, September 14, 2009

Movie Review - Whiteout (2009)

Starring Kate Beckinsale, Gabriel Macht, and Tom Skerritt
Directed by Dominic Sena

Although I didn't know how the perpetrator was involved, I guessed the identity of the felon within ten minutes of the film. Alright, now that I've patted myself on the back, let's move on.

Carrie Stetko is a U.S. Marshall doing a stint in Antarctica, dealing with various small crimes and misdemeanors. Somehow, someone discovers a dead body of a Russian guy out on some ice, and while investigating the crime, Carrie unearths a years-old secret that makes her begin to question even the intentions of her closest friends.

There's maybe a good movie here (emphasis on maybe), but it just ends up being a little too silly for its own good. The dialogue here is ridiculously laughable. The musical score foreshadows every single event. The final action scene was so incomprehensible and went on for such a long period of time that I couldn't wait for it to be over. People were slipping and sliding all over the place and it was impossible to tell who was who and where they were in relation to others.

And it's a shame really because Kate Beckinsale is actually decent in this. Sure, her role is given some ridiculously silly backstory and she isn't really given a whole lot to do, but I liked her in this. I also appreciated the fact that the movie didn't really stoop to cheap thrills. Sure, it didn't really succeed on several levels, but I liked that it wasn't simply stupid...I just wish that there could've been a little more oomph to the story.

The RyMickey Rating: D+

1 comment:

  1. It's based on an apparently good Graphic novel. So you're right about the whole could be good.

    ReplyDelete