Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

A Book a Week - Suspect

Book Thirty-Three of the Book-A-Week Quest

Suspect
by Michael Robotham (2003)

It was time for a light read after the month-long journey of One Hundred Years of Solitude. Suspect fit the bill. A silly crime tale told in first person (which, for some reason, makes things infinitely easier and more enjoyable for me to read) that required next-to-no brainpower on my behalf. I'm not trying to be insulting to the book -- it was a fine read -- but it was quick and easy.

Joe O'Laughlin is a psychologist who was just diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. While he is certainly dealing with the initial ramifications of his illness, he finds it difficult to handle at times and it's certainly creating a rift in his home life with his wife and his young daughter.

When a young woman is found murdered in the streets of London, the police ask Joe to help try and solve the crime -- the cops assume the woman was a prostitute and Joe specialized in treating prostitutes several years ago. Joe soon discovers that the woman was not a hooker, and, in fact, was once a troubled former suicidal colleague of his whom he attempted to help overcome her problems with cutting herself several years prior. Joe begins to suspect that one of his current patients may be responsible for this young woman's death, but, at the same time, the cops are beginning to question whether Joe himself may be the murderer.

It's all silly, for the most part, and Robotham isn't the best writer in the world (there were several passages that felt as if I could've written them), but the book certainly kept my interest especially in the final half. Unfortunately, things wrap up much too quickly and I wish Robotham would've fleshed out the climax as much as (or at least half as much as) he padded the first half.

That being said, I liked the main character and I'm interested in seeing where Robotham takes him in his other books, so I'm certainly going to be picking up his next novel fairly soon.

5 comments:

  1. I have a book suggestion for you. Its by William bernhardt. Its called capital conspiracy. Its really good and an easy read, i read it in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked on my library's website (and amazon)...nothing called "Capitol Conspiracy", but there's a "Capitol Threat", "Capitol Murder", and "Capitol Offense." Is it one of these? I'm guessing they're maybe a series?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all about the same character and the conspiracy is the newest one i think so maybe that's why it isnt up there. but i'm sure the others are just as good and id like to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book for the mystery discussion group at Borders about a year ago. I only remembered as you related the plot line so apparently it left little residue in the entertainment part of my brain. As I recall I had wished the story was 'deeper' in some way, not the plot but the affect of the story on me. My anticipation of the story with the characters and their different plights had me hoping for something more.

    I do recall thinking that a good screenwriter could probably make this one of the rare books that ended up being a better movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom's Mom/Sherri/Mrs. Latchford -

    I agree that it wasn't the least bit deep at all. As a character, I enjoyed the main guy and was intrigued with the fact that he had Parkinsons', but nothing came of that really...I mean I guess it did provide a pivotal plot point of him cheating on his wife in a moment of despair, but I wanted more.

    I haven't really read a "silly" novel at all this year, and, admittedly, I'm probably giving this one a little more credit than it deserves simply because it was a quick read and I'm a mystery fan. Nothing special, though, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete