Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Opening Night!



I don't ever remember being as excited about an opening night of baseball before, but for some reason, I was psyched for the Phillies' first game of the season.  

I'm sure going to the fourth game of the World Series last year and experiencing the thrill of communal excitement has something to do with it -- high-fiving complete strangers when Blanton (the freakin' pitcher!) hit a home run, listening to (and somewhat joining in) the drunks yelling "Eva!" at the Rays' Evan Longoria, laughing hysterically as "Philadelphia Legend Patti LaBelle" sang the incorrect words to the National Anthem -- all those things and more are still resonating from me from last year.

And then the completely inconsistent Brett Myers takes the mound tonight and blows it in the first two innings.  Granted, the Phils' offense didn't provide Myers any help (until an ill-fated ninth inning rally) and he admittedly looked better after the second inning, but Myers' typical unpredictability doesn't foster hope.

But hope we must have.

Then again, last season I was certainly prone to saying, "The Phillies suck."  In August and September, I was certainly the one that had no hope in this team.  

Maybe I just need to not care...or at the very least not have any faith in them...It worked last year.

Oh, well...it's just one game...161 to go...

2 comments:

  1. Once it hit that two-hour mark, he realized it still had another hour to go and he was done...

    I still have yet to see this and it's probably gonna have to wait til video at this point...not that that's a problem for me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, well...I'm trying to broaden my horizons somewhat...I'm still not gonna be the guy that watches Baseball Tonight or SportsCenter on an endless loop, and I'm sure that I'm not gonna be able to discuss any team other than the Phillies, but I am eagerly looking forward to the baseball season.

    ReplyDelete