Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Classic Movie Review - Easter Parade (1948)

starring Fred Astaire, Judy Garland, Peter Lawford, and Anne Murray
screenplay by Sidney Sheldon, Frances Goodrich, and Albert Hackett

directed by Charles Waters"In your Easter bonnet with all the frills upon it,
You'll be the grandest lady in the Easter parade.
Oh, I could write a sonnet about your Easter bonnet
And of the girl I'm taking to the Easter parade."

Easter Parade is a stereotypical 1940s musical if there ever was one. It's got your dance sequences that are only there to show that Fred Astaire can dance. It's got your typical scene where they showcase "elegant fashion" simply for no other reason than to showcase "elegant fashion" (Lord knows, it has nothing to do with the plot and all and brings the movie to a dead halt). It's got a final 40 minutes that are simply there to "put on a stage show" and not advance the plot in the slightest.

Sure, these things are laughable nowadays, but for the most part, Easter Parade works as a film and that certainly has a lot to do with Judy Garland and Fred Astaire. Right at the very beginning, Astaire is seen walking down the street singing "Happy Easter" to people, and I couldn't help but smile. Sure, it's corny as hell, but Astaire sells it. And Judy Garland is definitely a stunning presence onscreen. I admittedly have not seen many of her films, but she certainly delivered in this one.

The plot is super simple. Astaire is Don who has been working with Nadine (Ann Miller) for years as part of a dancing/singing duo. Nadine, however, wants to go solo and she leaves Don. A sullen and angry Don finds young dancer Hannah (Garland) at a bar/club and hires her on the spot to join him onstage. Will Don be able to mold Hannah into the dancer she needs to be in order to succeed on Broadway? Only time will tell (although, let's be honest, it's Judy Garland...she's the star...there's not much tension here...you know she's gonna "make it on Broadway").

Now, it's not a perfect movie...There are the faults that I mentioned in the first paragraph that definitely bring the film to a near stop an hour in. But the first hour is genuinely entertaining and lovely to look at. Director Waters allows his camera to linger on certain scenes which seemed to me to be unusual for 1940s musicals...there are whole verses and choruses that he allows the actors to sing without making cuts and it made for some interesting shots.

Overall, it was certainly a fitting movie to watch today (thanks, Turner Classic Movies), and it definitely made me interested to see some of Judy Garland's other work.

The RyMickey Rating: B

3 comments:

  1. Dang it! I missed it....

    Have you seen Meet Me in St Louis? That's a really good Judy Garland film (when I say it was good, I mean I in fact watched it all the way through-just to clear that up)....

    I would also like to just throw out there -

    Would you consider "Singing in the Rain" a showtune?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen "Meet Me in St. Louis." I've gotten from the library umpteen times and have yet to put it in the dvd player to watch it. Not knowing Judy Garland beyond "The Wizard of Oz," I was definitely impressed, so I'll certainly check it out at some point.

    "Singin' in the Rain"...not a showtune. It was from a movie. Now, the only movie music I would say falls into the showtune category would be movies that were made based off of Broadway musicals. For example, you mentioned "Hello Dolly" the other night. While I've never seen the movie, I'm thinking it was based off of a Broadway show, so, I guess, even though the music is from a movie, since it originated on Broadway, the showtune moniker would stick.

    The stuff in this movie was all written by Irving Berlin, so I wouldn't really consider them showtunes at all...more like "standards," I guess.

    This showtune/movie music debate is never-ending...I may just cede victory to Thomas (even though I'm right ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your thinking about ceding (that can't be spelled right even though the red squigglys are gone) victory to me is a victory enough.

    ReplyDelete