Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Monday, April 13, 2009

Movie Review - Rachel Getting Married (2008)

***Available on DVD***
starring Anne Hathaway, Rosemarie Dewitt, Bill Irwin, Anna Deavere Smith, Mather Zickel, Tunde Adebimpe, and Debra Winger

written by Jenny Lumet
directed by Jonathan Demme

The term voyeur carries a negative connotation.  The idea of a "peeping Tom" automatically makes one think of a creepy guy sneakily following you around watching your every move.  It absolutely conjures up a sense of uneasiness.

That's how I felt when watching Rachel Getting Married.  I was watching something I really shouldn't be privy to -- the inner workings of a family that isn't nearly as happy as they'd like you to think they are.  And as I snuck into this liberal Connecticut family's home and hid behind the doors or the sofas, I was certainly uncomfortable, but I was absolutely captivated by what I witnessed.

Kym is a recovering drug addict, leaving a stint in rehab to return home for her sister's wedding.  As a fellow friend from rehab says, seeing one's family is one of the hardest things for an addict to do.  Kym's father dotes on her profusely, going over the top in trying to make her feel at home.  The bride-to-be, her sister Rachel, greets her much more warily, unsure of "which Kym" may be arriving home.  And Kym herself finds the whole thing quite an ordeal.  There is joy in the family upon her arrival, but there is also incredible pain -- pain that is revealed ever so slowly in Jenny Lumet's truly fascinating script.  Lumet creates a family that (although unlike any family I know, and, to be completely honest, a family that would be way too "weird" for me to ever find enjoyable) feels so incredibly realistic that it truly feels like you are watching a documentary of sorts.

That documentary feel is certainly achieved, in part, because of Jonathan Demme's direction.  Although he must have shot with handheld cameras, the footage is never jumpy or shaky.  The camera is always where it needs to be in order to achieve the greatest emotional impact.  At times, it really is voyeuristic, looking at a room from afar.  Then, he'll switch things up, moving uncomfortably close to the drama.  Some really exquisite work here.

And then there are the actors.  How this ensemble was not nominated for Best Ensemble at the Screen Actor's Guild is beyond me.  This is the best collection of folks I've seen onscreen in years.  Starting with the "star," Hathaway strips herself of the sweetie-pie persona that's so well known and totally inhabits the addled recovering Kym.  Dewitt's Rachel is a perfect counter -- seemingly rational, but hiding much pain inside over a past family tragedy.  And then there's the absolutely fantastic Bill Irwin as Kym and Rachel's father.  Probably my favorite in the film, Irwin is obviously a father who wants the best for both his daughters, but is completely oblivious to what he needs to do in order to create happiness in his family.  There's a scene in the family's living room with these three great actors where Rachel confronts Kym about her role in the accident that caused her family so much sorrow that was simply riveting.  And then the scene that comes after that with Kym and her mother (Debra Winger in a tricky role)...wow, just wow.

If I had to fault the film on one thing, it would be that the wedding party scene goes on much too long.  However, that's where the voyeuristic nature of the film blasts full throttle.  We, as moviegoers, are actually there -- watching this family celebrate, watching this family cry, watching this family come to terms with what it means to be a family despite whatever cards they are dealt.

The RyMickey Rating: A 

3 comments:

  1. It's infinitely more fun to write about something you don't like. When you like something, you actually need to think about it. I actually spent much longer than normal writing that "review." Thanks.

    Honestly, the only reason I didn't mention race is because a blog that I often read talked about the lack of focus on that, so I would've felt like I was just rehashing it. But, it's true that the movie doesn't focus on it all. Sure, I noticed it, but if I'm being completely honest, it wasn't until an hour into the movie when I said, "Hey...their dad and stepmom are in a mixed marriage, too...hmm...I didn't even notice that." And that's the truth. I honestly did not even notice that fact until 60 minutes in. It is entirely refreshing that it didn't matter.

    At first, I kind of disliked the extended wedding party scene, but as I was writing the review, I couldn't help but grow to like that scene more. I was initially going to give it an A- because of that scene alone, but then I "brilliantly" realized that Demme really utilized the scene to completely pull me into this family's life. I was there at that wedding.

    I went back and re-read your review today and you mentioned the shot during the actual ceremony that focused on Kym rather than Rachel (as you also mention in your comment). It honestly didn't bother me in the slightest. I get what you're saying, but it didn't matter. It harks back to the whole voyeuristic thing to me...if I were at that wedding, I'm not sure my attention would've been on Rachel and Sidney the whole time...I probably would've found myself looking at Kym, too.

    As far as making up for Don't Look Down...I'll have to think about it. But, in all seriousness, I'm honestly happy I watched Don't Look Down (and not just because of the sex). It was something I never would've even thought about renting/watching, so even though I strongly disliked it, I'm glad I watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not as thrilled with it as I wanted to be. I agree totally about the long drawn out parts! But it is Princess Mia, she can never go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky -

    I can totally see why people wouldn't like it.

    I mean, let's be honest...nothing happens in the last 30 minutes...for some reason, though, it worked perfectly for me.

    Totally would never have even thought of that Princess Mia/Anne Hathaway/your Mia connection...

    ReplyDelete