Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What I'm Listening To - The Swell Season

I went to see Paul McCartney earlier this year and it was pretty awesome to see a legend. That being said, the sound quality in a stadium setting was good, but loud and overbearing.

Last Sunday, I went to see my current favorite group, The Swell Season, and was absolutely amazed at the sound quality at the Merriam Theater in Philadelphia. The stellar acoustics along with lead singer Glen Hansard's spot-on vocals provided one amazing night of music.

Seriously, nearly every song produced chills for me. From the older stuff from the movie Once to the new songs from the just released album "Strict Joy", the set list was a treat. Even the Willie Nelson and Van Morrison covers were great (especially the latter...man, Glen on the guitar during the Van Morrison cover...wow...didn't know people could strum that fast...).

If there's one fault that could be mentioned about the whole evening, it would be that I wish Markéta Irglová would have talked a little more...or at least acted a little more excited to have been there...I get that she's a shy gal, but you could've mustered a little enthusiasm. That being said, Glen more than made up for her. Speaking with the audience regaling us with some nifty anecdotes, having us sing along during three numbers (which was really kind of haunting and lovely)...man, I had a great time and will be right there when they make a return trip to the area.

Let me just add that the lighting was also a treat. There were simple wave-like boards at the back of the stage that changed colors (red=angry, white =happy, etc) throughout...I realize that's petty, but it enhanced the atmosphere for sure.

Seriously, this show made me love this duo (who were backed by Glen's band The Frames) even more. I just can't get over Glen's vocals live. Just amazing.

The set list is below (thanks to my brother for making it while watching the show) and I've included a few youtube videos of some of my favorite songs along with some random musings (once again, I realize this is a little self-serving and won't appeal to my "multitude" of readers, but I'm keeping track of this for my sake).

1. Fallen From the Sky - Glen with his guitar and Marketa with a tiny Casio keyboard alone kneeling onstage.
2. Lies
3. Feeling the Pull - Harmonica!

4. Low Rising - With this song, the rest of Glen's band, The Frames came onstage. Video of this great song is below.

5. Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain (Willie Nelson Cover)
6. The Rain
7. The Moon - Glen was talking to me when he discussed the meaning of this song (obviously, not really, but my fellow concert-goers got a good laugh as Glen spoke...I never thought a discussion about vampires would relate to me, but it somehow did).
8. If You Want Me - Markéta's chance to shine.
9. Fantasy Man
10. Leave - And just like the song title, everyone leaves Glen alone onstage as he tackles four songs alone.
11. Say It To Me Now
12. Back Broke - Glen invites the audience to sing along...beautiful...
13. Astral Weeks (Van Morrison Cover) - Just amazing guitar work here by Glen

14. Irish "Love Song" Violin solo - Really only here so Glen can rest his voice
15. I Have Loved You Wrong - A beautiful song from Markéta...I love it...my fellow concertgoers, not so much...as evidenced by the 25 year-old "grandma" falling asleep next to me...

16. When Your Mind's Made Up

Encore
17. Falling Slowly - Their Oscar-winning number...Loved it...
18. Some new song not on the new album
19. High Horses -- Audience sing-along again!
20. Song by Doveman (opening act) - Um...Doveman...no thanks...
21. Red Chord
22. Some Irish Drinking Song

7 comments:

  1. I probably would have creamed myself listening to Leave's crescendo live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Leave" and "Say It to Me Now" back to back...man...good stuff...I've got to burn you the new album...If you liked the Once soundtrack, there's no way you won't like the new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll still say what I was originally going to say after glancing at the post but not yet reading it through.
    How do you get the set list? Do people actually keep track of this during the show and then post it?
    Shouldn't they be doing something else. Like listening.

    I'll give the benefit that your brother can multitask.

    This is a lame comment, but I felt you needed something else here besides Justin's unclean thoughts/expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was guilted into doing it by jeff. and it's not too hard to listen and spend about 5 seconds writing down a title. I typically don't use my fingers to listen to music anyway. And I don't spend the whole time repeating the set list in my head so I'll remember it later.
    And unlike jeff, I wasn't utterly fixated upon the 'wave-like boards' for the entire concert. I could tear my eyes away from them for a few seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those wave things were entrancing...and I don't think "guilted" you into it is really good terminology..."Hey, you keeping a set list" was probably said, but not a whole lot more than that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. after the first two songs you looked at me and whined "you're not making a set list??!?!??" whimper whimper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it was maybe "You making a set list?" There was no whimpering involved...well, maybe a little...

    ReplyDelete