Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Movie Review - Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird (1985)

Starring Big Bird, Oscar, Bert, Ernie, Mr. Snuffleupagus, The Count, Cookie Monster, and a bunch of other furry creatures
Directed by Ken Kwapis

Laugh all you want, but when I saw that this was available On Demand, memories of my childhood came flying back into my mind. I grew up on Sesame Street (none of this Spongebob crap) and looking back on this quality movie (I'm totally serious), it's easy to understand why this institution has been around for forty years (I'm talking about Sesame Street, not me).

The story revolves around the idea that Big Bird should be living with other birds and not with people. So, adoption director Miss Finch takes Big Bird from Sesame Street and places him with the Dodo family. Unfortunately, the fit just isn't right and Big Bird runs away from the Dodos and begins his trek back home. Meanwhile, all his friends from Sesame Street venture out onto the road to find him.

For me, this is simply nostalgia, but this is honestly a decent flick. Yes, it's incredibly simple, but there's a good story here, told lovingly by the Jim Henson folks. I see Jim Henson's name pop up on the screen during the credits as a performer and I realize that he provided me with much enjoyment as I grew up (and I can only hope his Muppets live on in this techno-crazy age).

Is this superb cinema? No. But it's definitely a quality kids pick that kept me entertained for 85 minutes.

The RyMickey Rating: B-

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that the bird is the word?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZThquH5t0ow

    ReplyDelete