Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Movie Review - Definitely, Maybe (2008)

Starring Ryan Reynolds, Rachel Weisz, Isla Fisher, Elizabeth Banks, and Abigail Breslin
Directed by Adam Brooks

I can't lie...I'm a fan of a good romantic comedy. They're few and far between, but the poster to the left mentions two really good ones -- Notting Hill and Love, Actually. The fact that this movie comes from the same producers was positive...and although it doesn't match the quality of those two, Definitely, Maybe is quite winning.

Very similar to tv's How I Met Your Mother, the flick revolves around a father (Reynolds) telling his daughter (Breslin) the story of how he met her mother, focusing on three ladies that were in his life, one of whom is the young gal's mom.

The three ladies -- Banks, Fisher, and Weisz -- come in and out of the dad's life and all three actresses are great, particularly Isla Fisher. Even in a crappy movie like Confessions of a Shopaholic, Fisher exudes cuteness and quirkiness, a combination on display here as well. And she is perfectly balanced by Ryan Reynolds who once again (along with The Proposal) proves that he's a charming leading man. I was actually moderately surprised that I believed him in the role of a father...not sure why...I guess I think he's young, but he's five years older than me (and we all know I'm a dinosaur).

The RyMickey Rating: B-

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you!!! you like a chick flick!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Notice that this one did not come out this year...this has not been a good year for chick flicks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's ok. there was a few decent ones I believe, but im not as picky as you. Next year will be good. Two Nicholas Sparks adaptations are coming out.

    ReplyDelete