Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Movie Review - Once (2007)

Starring Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová
Directed by John Carney

I love this movie.

I realize that there's nothing to it...heck, we don't even learn the main characters' names. Guy is a guitar player. Girl meets guitar player on the street. They both share musical sensibilities and gradually develop a friendship over the course of a few days as they create songs that detail their burgeoning love story.

It absolutely helps that I think Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová are pretty darn brilliant musicians as over 45 minutes of this 86 minute film are filled with music. I could listen to their stuff all day and not get bored (I might get a little depressed, but it would be worth it), so hearing it in the movie as it pushes the story forward is something special.

Hansard and Irglová are "real" here. There's never a moment where you feel like they're acting. There's a "cinema verité" style in place...the cameras are simply capturing everyday life -- the joy, the pain, and everything in between.

This movie just gets better and better upon repeated viewings. So good.

The RyMickey Rating: A

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree! You would think this movie would be a bit boring, but I could watch it over and over. It's sort of mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had I known you liked it, I would've asked if you wanted to go and see the two of them last night in Philly (you'd have been in Boston, though, probably)...

    The movie's so simple and I think that's what makes it so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's the Oscar winning singer-songwriter you went to see! So jealous! But yes, I didn't get home from Boston until 10:30 at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw previews for this somewhere and wanted to see it, but forgot that I wanted to see it, Thanks for posting it up here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good one. The first five minutes contain a guy that's incredibly difficult to understand...his Irish accent is off-the-charts incomprehensible...but I think that's kind of the point. Make it through those and you'll be rewarded with a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete