Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Movie Review - Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (2007)

Starring John C. Reilly, Jenna Fischer, and Kristen Wiig
Directed by Jake Kasdan

This one tanked in theaters when it was released around Christmas two years ago, but I found myself laughing much more than I thought I would.

Shockingly, co-writer Judd Apatow manages to bring this movie in at a brisk (for him) 100 minutes, unlike his unnecessary opus Funny People.

The tale of Johnny Cash/Bob Dylan/Buddy Holly/Beatles sound-alike Dewey Cox, the flick details his crazy life as he finds success and deals with failures. There are some clever songs included as well.

I laughed...that's the point of movies like this. Enough said...

The RyMickey Rating: C+

8 comments:

  1. I don't understand your beef with Mr. Apatow AKA King Of Comedy. Yes, Funny People had its flaws but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. All his films typically run an extra ten minutes long and include your fair share of jew and dick jokes but honestly watch 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up and compare it to garbage like The Ugly Truth for example. His films are far superior and have heart wrapped up in the vulgarity (which is highly realistic)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will admit I am kind of biased because I have man crushes on Paul Rudd, Jason Segel, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill & Co. (fuck Michael Cera) but seriously compare his films to the rest of the garbage that comes out and calls itself a comedy. They are all empty and shallow. His films are a breath of fresh air because they do have honesty and truth in them. But hey, I suppose I am just some crazy 19 year old liberal who loves his fair share of jews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My beef with Apatow is that he doesn't know how to edit himself when he's directing a movie.

    40YOV and Knocked Up were okay (I actually liked the latter quite a bit on my first viewing, but my liking of it waned a bit on a repeat viewing). You're never going to ever convince me to watch Funny People again. I really hated that one.

    The thing is, as a writer, I see potential in Apatow. I like that there's heart in his stuff (like you said), but I do think he needs to learn to scale back a bit (too many superfluous characters) and/or learn how to edit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I would classify all 19 year old liberals as crazy...not just you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a fair criticism. It doesnt bother me much because I am enjoying what I am seeing on the screen. Also most 19 year olds can't tell you the difference between congress and the senate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Also most 19 year olds can't tell you the difference between congress and the senate."


    Congress is Both the House of Representatives and the Senate.

    So most 19 year olds don't know the difference between the House of Representatives and the Senate, and just the Senate.

    Or did you just make yourself look dumb?

    I'm confused.

    ReplyDelete