Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Sunday, November 01, 2009

A Book a Week - Cell


Book Forty-One of the Book a Week Quest

Cell
by Stephen King (2006)

I read a bunch of Stephen King in high school, but I'll admit that I drifted away from him during my college days mainly because I was just too busy reading "important" stuff to spend time with King's books.

Well, King may not be the best writer out there, but he manages to hold my attention. Cell was an enjoyable 350-page read, moving along at a brisk pace and providing a few moments of genuine shock. Add to that, I truly liked (and genuinely bought) the premise that a signal sent over cell phones has caused anyone who uses them to turn into zombie-like creatures. Throw in some well-rounded protagonists that have the reader actually rooting for them, and you've got a winner all around.

Having fallen behind a bit on this book a week quest, expect to see another King book pop up here in the next two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment