Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

The 2012 RyMickey Awards - Worst Film

I was actually a little surprised that I never made my least favorite films of the year "known" before in the 2009-2011 RyMickey Awards.  Time to change that...

Worst Films of 2012

(Dis) Honorable Mentions
(all movies ranked 'D' or lower)

#10 - Taken 2 -- D
The fact that a third one is on the way disgusts me.  You've taken a concept that worked for the first film and just bastardized it simply to make money.

#9 - The Campaign -- D
Simply not funny filled with one-dimensional sketch comedy characters that wear out their welcome after ten minutes.

#8 - Lawless -- D
This was well-liked by critics, but I found it a boring dud.

#7 - The Lorax -- D
Disappointing animation with lukewarm voice work and some of the worst songs ever written for an animated film, Dr. Seuss should be rolling over in his grave.

#6 - The Odd Life of Timothy Green -- D-
See...even I can dislike Disney movies.  What a painful hokey mess.

#5 - Battleship -- D-
They threw everything but the kitchen sink into this one, but if they'd thrown that in at least maybe they'd have used the garbage disposal to get rid of some of the awful plot points.

#4 - Casa de mi Padre -- D-
The second Will Ferrell film on the Worst of 2012 list, this is the worst comedy of 2012.  Created by some Funny or Die website people, they should stick with three-minute viral bits.

#3 - Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter -- F
Dark, dreary, and not scary in the slightest.  It's a concept that I thought maybe would work for its shear absurdity, but never once clicked.

#2 - The Apparition -- F
I'd have ranked the incredibly undynamic duo of Ashley Greene and Sebastian Stan higher on my Worst Performances of the Year list if this horribly bad horror movie had stuck around in my mind.  However, even less than a month after watching it, I'd already forgotten about it...which is a good thing considering what a complete waste of time it is.

#1 - Rock of Ages -- F
And Rock of Ages gets the one-two punch of collecting the Worst Performance and Worst Film of 2012 Awards.  Congrats are in order to a film that gives musicals a bad name.

No comments:

Post a Comment