Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Friday, July 05, 2013

Movie Review - Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas (2012)
Starring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess, Ben Whishaw, Susan Sarandon, Hugh Grant, Doona Bae, and Keith David
Directed by Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski, and Lana Wachowski


"Our lives are not our own.  From womb to tomb we are bound to others past and present.  And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."

The epic, nearly three hour Cloud Atlas can be summed up in the quote above that comes at the film's end.  As actress Doona Bae said the words, it was immediately obvious that she was spouting the film's thesis as set forth by its trio of writer-directors Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski, and Lana Wachowski.  And after that line is said, I found myself asking this question: Is it possible to really like a movie even if you feel like its deep underlying meaning isn't fully realized despite the fact that its screenplay tries to hammer it home over and over again?  The answer I've realized is yes because Cloud Atlas is a film that may not be perfect, but is wholly original, visually appealing, and surprisingly compelling throughout its lengthy run time.

Essentially six separate stories, the overarching point of Cloud Atlas is to tell us that all of our current actions affect those that come after us which is why the stories here -- spanning the centuries from 1849 to 2321 -- are somewhat connected to one another, some by tenuous strands and some by significant plot points.  With each story undertaking a different genre -- there's comedy, suspense, romance, sci fi, historical drama -- it's as if we're watching a bunch of separate movies that are held together by both the film's theme and the interesting, entirely successful gimmick of having the members of the cast play different roles in all of the storylines.  So, as an example, while Halle Berry is the lead in the suspense segment, her role as a different character in the romance tale is a minimal one.  The same goes for Tom Hanks, Ben Whishaw, Jim Broadbent, Jim Sturgess, Hugo Weaving, Susan Sarandon, and Hugh Grant, all of whom make up a very nice ensemble and get the chance to play a variety of roles.

The film looks expensive and for a movie spanning so many genres and centuries, it's good that things don't look as if they were done on the cheap.  From the special effects to the scenic design to the nice score, all of the technical aspects of Cloud Atlas deserve praise.  Directors Tom Tykwer and the Wachowski siblings have really crafted something that I found rather intriguing on the visual side of things.

Overall, what prevents the film from thoroughly reaching its ambitious intentions is the fact that some of the stories just don't carry the gravitas of, as one character put it, showing "the consequences of one's life rippling through eternity."  As an example, I loved the comedy segment of the film featuring Jim Broadbent as a book editor who, after running afoul with one of his clients, is forced to go on the run and finds himself locked up in an old person's home.  I thought the story was well thought out, humorous, and completely entertaining.  However, I don't quite understand how it fit in with the six other stories.  Yes, there is a brief mention of Broadbent's character in the sci fi segment, but for the heftiness of the overarching theme, it doesn't quite work.  Granted, I understand that many people on this planet will only affect others in small ways, but I'm not quite sure for the scope and grandeur of Cloud Atlas that we should've been focusing on these people in this movie.

Still, while that may seem like a somewhat large "problem," it really isn't.  While it knocks the film down from a perfect level, Cloud Atlas is still a fascinating film that I'm still thinking about days after watching it.  Moreso than many of 2012's films, this is one that I look forward to watching again a few years in the future.

The RyMickey Rating:  B+

4 comments:

  1. I stand by this being my 5th favorite of last year. I just really loved the concept and themes. The only makeup that was cringe worthy was Asian Hugo Weaving. I'll need to rewatch it one day, movies that don't hold your hand are becoming all the more rare. Not that this even really was all that hard to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was ready to be thoroughly confused with this one. I was set to have to pay incredibly close attention and have to rewind and all that...it wasn't really like that at all. The only thing that threw me (and it probably was because I missed a line or two or turned away for a second) was that I wasn't initially sure what exactly Hugh Grant's character in the Halle Berry suspense storyline was doing wrong initially. Other than that, I pretty much "got" everything.

    I loved the "grandness" of the whole thing and was very surprised that they were able to keep things moving along at the pace they did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was like 45% good movie, 45% meh, 10% "I don't understand a fucking thing you're saying right now, Future Tom Hanks"

    I can see why people call it revolutionary but I didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it's revolutionary by any means and I can even understand your ratio. However, I think this was likely a case of lowered expectations on my part mixing with a unique concept yielding a result that I couldn't really imagine happening.

    Even nearly two weeks after watching, I'm still kind of fascinated by what went on during it. I understand your "45% meh," but I never really felt that for me.

    ReplyDelete