Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Movie Review - Damsels in Distress

Damsels in Distress (2012)
Starring Greta Gerwig, Analeigh Tipton, Megalyn Echikunwoke, Carrie MacLemore, and Adam Brody
Directed by Whit Stillman

Perhaps I formulated my Worst of 2012 list prematurely.  Quite frankly, I'm a little lost as to what Damsels in Distress is and what it's trying to be and that confusion is the only thing that's actually saving it from a bottom of the rung grade because it's at least made me think a tiny bit.  Greta Gerwig is Violet, a college student at the fictional Seven Oaks University, who is the head of the Suicide Prevention Center along with her buddies and roommates Heather (Carrie MacLemore) and Rose (Megalyn Echikunwoke).  Violet's suicide prevention method: dance.  Get the depressed kids together to dance and euphoria will spread into their psyches.  As the school year begins, they meet incoming sophomore Lily (Analeigh Tipton) who ends up becoming their roommate, but who also questions the odd nature of these three gals who are disliked around much of the campus for their quirkiness.

And it's the "quirkiness" that fails Damsels in Distress.  There's not a single frame of this movie that rings true.  Dialog (and there is tons and tons of dialog) is forced and grating, oftentimes trying to be super-cutesy while seconds later trying to be deep (or at least that "college deep" where young adults think they're saying something important but are really just full of hot air).  Any story is essentially nonexistent.  The film even sets itself up into mini-vignettes that don't amount to much of anything by the film's end.

The only thing remotely saving this is that the cast was at least attempting to make this watchable.  Analeigh Tipton who I liked in Crazy Stupid Love is fine here as is Adam Brody (as a love interest for Violet and Lily), Carrie MacLemore, and Megalyn Echikunwoke.  Greta Gerwig was unfortunately tasked with an impossible role.  Violet from the outset is obnoxious and tediously boring and as a lead character she has no charisma.  There was little that Gerwig could do to help things along.

The RyMickey Rating:  D

5 comments:

  1. This is legitimately the first bad thing I've seen about this movie in particular in regards to Greta Gerwig's performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I wouldn't necessarily say I'm a Gerwig fan, I appreciate the fact that she's the indie darling of the moment and I certainly don't dislike her. I'm kind of indifferent to her, I guess. Her character in this was just not one I wanted to spend time with. I was blown away when I saw the 75% Fresh rating on RottenTomatoes. I just didn't get it apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I've now seen this.
    I completely agree with everything you say except somehow I kind of liked it. It was the weird hyper-reality clustercuss of a movie but I overall enjoyed it. Most of the characters were grating. There wasn't any real story. There was no real conflict. I don't know. It's confusing in my pants.
    The only good parts of Greta Gerwig were the things that reminded me of Frances Ha (not a lot of it was reminiscent but there were moments) which is my second favorite movie of the year so far. (If you can't guess my #1, for shame) You should seek it out. You won't love it as much as me but it is still pretty damn fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) I do want to see Frances Ha. Definitely on my Netflix list.
    2) I agree with the no story, no conflict, and sheer confusion...I just fall on the opposite side of the spectrum of not enjoying it (although I do wonder if it's one of those movies that had I watched on a different day, I'd have felt the same way you did).
    3) I kinda need to see the second one before I see Before Midnight...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do need to see the second one. It's still the best one. I don't know if any other movie will make me feel so many feels. And I know you think that at this point I've overhyped it. But it's so damn good.

    ReplyDelete