Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, July 25, 2013

The 2012 RyMickey Awards - Best Actress

As I've mentioned, this was a rather weak year for Best Actress nominees.  You'll notice that Oscar darlings Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty) and Quvenzhané Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild) didn't make the cut below as I found neither of their roles particularly praise-worthy in any way.

Still, while I say this was a "weak year," I'm incredibly pleased by my Top Five choices listed below.  I only wish there was more of an overabundance of solid choices to choose from as the top five were pretty much the only ones that were ever in the running for me.

Best Actress of 2012

Honorable Mentions
#7 - Marion Cotillard - Rust and Bone
"...Marion Cotillard gives the best performance I've seen from her...but I should mention I haven't really been a fan before this..."
#6 - Noomi Rapace - Prometheus
"...Rapace is quite good, embodying a completely different female from Sigourney Weaver's kick-ass Ripley.  [She's] mellow and slightly timid...[trying] to understand her place in this world..."
And the Top Five...

#5 - Helen Hunt - The Sessions
This is a brave role to undertake considering that Hunt is naked for many of her scenes, but the film isn't about titillation in the slightest (despite the fact that it's all about sex).  Hunt emanates a kindness and gentleness that is absolutely lovely, giving the film a tenderness that never becomes melodramatic.  Hunt was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar this past year, but this role is really a co-lead, hence her placement here.

#4 - Emmanuelle Riva - Amour
Receiving a well-deserved Oscar nom, this oldest ever Best Actress nominee absolutely earned her spot.  Able to convey so much with the slightest flicker of an eye or the tiniest movement of her mouth, Riva proves that talent doesn't diminish with age.

#3 - Keira Knightley - Anna Karenina
Even in her better roles, Keira Knightley has the tendency to show emotion simply (and only) by clenching her jaw.  However, working here with director Joe Wright for the third time, she nixed that crutch that's constantly bothered me in the past.  As the title character, this is Knightley's most mature role yet, exuding passion, sexiness, heartbreak, and maternal instincts.  The character is so well-rounded, it's a shame the classic story felt so stodgy and archaic.

#2 - Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook
While I wasn't a fan of the script of Silver Linings Playbook, the film was able to show me a different side of Jennifer Lawrence.  Never once playing the victim, her character is feisty, tough, sweet, and always a strong presence whenever she's onscreen.  While I wouldn't have given her the Oscar, she's absolutely a worthy runner up...and I'm not at all upset that the Academy gave her their reward.

#1 - Naomi Watts - The Impossible
Naomi Watts made my eyes well up this past year and that's oftentimes enough to win me over.  The performance is tough and heartwarming at the same time.  Watts had to make the special effects scenes wholly believable which I can't imagine was an easy task, while at the same time conveying the emotions of a mother ripped away from her family.  Powerful stuff and an awe-inspiring performance.

Previous RyMickey Award Winners

No comments:

Post a Comment