Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, January 02, 2010

The Year in Review - Live Events

I managed to go to quite a few concerts and theater performances in 2009 (and with a New Year's resolution with a friend to try and see all the live theater University of Delaware has to offer, this aspect of entertainment will likely continue into the new decade).

Concerts

I enjoyed all of the above for various reasons, but the two that stand out the most are Paul McCartney (seriously, he's a frickin' legend) and The Swell Season (lead vocalist Glen Hansard was spectacular).

Theater
The Lion King (Broadway - musical)
Of Mice and Men (Professional @ UD - play)
Hay Fever (Professional @ UD - play)
The Little Mermaid (Broadway - musical)
I Am My Own Wife (Professional @ UD - play/one-man show)
Oleanna (Broadway - play/two-person show)
South Pacific (Broadway - musical)

Unlike the concerts, there were certainly some busts here. The Little Mermaid was the worst thing I've seen on Broadway, and although Oleanna boasted some good performances from Bill Pullman and Julia Stiles, the play itself was incredibly weak. However, The Lion King is an amazing experience, South Pacific was filled with stellar vocalists, and I Am My Own Wife was surprisingly engaging (with a nifty set).

No comments:

Post a Comment