Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Monday, May 18, 2009

What I'm Listening To - "Fine Line" by Little Big Town

A country Fleetwood Mac is the best way to describe the two guy-two girl quartet of Little Big Town.  Definitely country, they also certainly have roots in 70s rock, as evidenced by their concert that I just returned from, where they covered the aforementioned Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" and The Eagles' "Heartache Tonight."

What I love about the group is the great harmonies.  Sure, it's easy to sound good on a cd, but I was very impressed with the group's live vocals this evening, particularly at the end of the touching "Lost," where all four of them put down their microphones and sang a cappella without any amplification whatsoever.   While the crowd at the venue was incredibly subdued (singer Karen Fairchild criticized the seemingly elderly crowd by telling them they weren't in a Baptist church so feel free to stand up -- seriously, my brother and I were definitely on the low end age-wise), the group still put on a great show, singing nearly non-stop for an hour and forty-five minutes.  Admittedly, I felt a little bad for the group as the lower section (we were in the balcony) seemed filled with grandmas and grandpas and they wouldn't even clap for these guys.  About halfway through, the crowd finally started to liven up a little, but they didn't go crazy until their last (and most well-known) song "Boondocks."

Oh, well.  I'd definitely go see this quartet again.  Not that I go to a lot of shows, but I was entertained for 100 minutes and that's all I can really ask for.

Their single "Fine Line" from their latest album is below.  Followed by their most well-known song, "Boondocks."  (I realize no one that reads this blog likes country music, so no hurt feelings when you don't listen to them...)
  Little Big Town More CMT Music More CMT Music Videos


7 comments:

  1. LIAR! you have at least one country loving reader!! remember me!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listen to some country. and i read your blog. although i don't think you were including me in that statement since I went to the concert with you.
    I agree, though, I would definitely go to another show of theirs.
    Despite the fact that no one in the audience would get the energy up at all, the group was still very engaging on stage. I think the fact that there wasn't a ton of banter between songs helped (although that being said, things finally started to loosen up following the conversation Karen had with the one young fan down front). But, with the looks we could see on their faces from OUR seats, it sure would have been easy to see them just phone in the performance. This was not their typical crowd
    While I haven't been to many concerts either, they were smooth as could be vocally -- recording quality almost. The harmonies were incredibly crisp. They were deserving of an excited crowd, which they did not receive until the last bit of the show. I mean, I was even "woohoo"-ing trying to give them something. by the way, the woman next to me clapped so broadly and weirdly that she almost smacked me in...places every time she got going.
    I made the set list for you as best as I can remember:
    Intro, Good as Gone, Bones/The Chain, Fine Line, Vapor, Wounded, A Place to Land, You're Gonna Love Me*, Firebird Fly, Bring It On Home, A Little More You, Lost, I'm With The Band, Looking For a Reason, Welcome to the Family, Boondocks, Encore: Life in a Northern Town, Heartache Tonight
    It's something close to that. though now that i look at it again i don't believe that's the right order. I just remember certain songs being together since they take turns as the lead.


    *the reason i don't have this song is because the cd I have was the original release, i guess. They were then dropped by that label and picked up by Capitol Records which then acquired the rights to that cd and rereleased it with a couple additional tracks. not that you care. but i learned it when trying to find the song. so i'm telling you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Tis true, Amanda, 'tis true that you are the one country fan...

    Well, you and my brother, anyway.

    Thanks for the setlist, btw...but didn't they do "Novocaine?" Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly and am getting it confused with the fact that we listened to it on the way there (or back)...

    "G" (am I not allowed to use your name?) - check out this article for a recent playlist...

    http://countrymusic.about.com/od/cdreviewsal/a/LBTConcert0209_2.htm

    Seems somewhat similar...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah they did play novocaine. i forgot to add that when i was typing it out. it was on the list i made on my computer. that was towards the middle third of the set i think.
    that set list in the link was similar. not the same though. and not the same order. and the writer got the names of a bunch of songs wrong.
    although, i think the intro was part of their newest single "good lord willin'"
    and you can use my name I don't care. I'm not THAT ashamed to have you as a brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listen to country. Whether I like it remains to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it's time for a coutnry mix cd...

    ReplyDelete