Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Movie Review - Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)

Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Directed by Stephen Chiodo

When I was young, I watched this movie on television and it scared the bejeezus out of me. Watching this again for the first time in probably a decade-and-a-half, I vividly remembered particular scenes and while they didn't freak me out, I could totally see why they did when I was nine or ten.

By no means is this a good movie, but it doesn't strive to be in the slightest. A group of alien clowns lands in a small town in America and starts killing everyone by wrapping them up in cotton candy. With that summary, we're not talking about something serious.

The problem with the flick is that the first half is much better than the film's climax. As the clowns go about the town, their wacky ways of murdering humans (killer puppet shows, killer shadow puppets) are still quite clever and very well executed considering the film's low budget. Similarly, our first glimpses of the clowns show just how impressive their eerie costumes and make-up are. Regrettably, the film's climax can't sustain the goofiness and the director just can't keep up the tension.

Still, it was a treat to watch this again and I'll maybe give it another go in another ten years.

The RyMickey Rating: C

3 comments:

  1. What the cuss just happened.

    You just watched something I gave you.

    Is the world ending?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD! Favorite movie ever! I give it a 6/5! Best guilt pleasure movie ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still bear scars from watching this as a kid...i vividly remembered them peeling back the cotton candy from one of the "pods" and a bloody face was revealed. Gave me nightmares back then.

    I also didn't realize that there was a groovy song in the opening and closing credits. Time to find it to download...

    ReplyDelete