Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, January 02, 2010

2010 Film-Related New Year's Resolutions

So, I didn't really make any film-related New Year's resolutions last year, but that damn Book-a-Week one really was a doozy. Now that that one's done [Reading? Who needs reading?], I can move on to some movie-centric resolutions that will not do a single thing in terms of bettering my mind.

  • Watch all of the films that have won Best Picture - I'll be honest. I haven't done the research here yet, so I'm unsure if all the 1920s-1930s films are available on dvd (or Blu-Ray...which, let me just say is amazing...more on that in the days ahead). Still, the goal is to watch every film that has taken home the "big prize" at the Oscars. I was looking over the list the other day and was genuinely surprised at how few I had seen. [Admittedly, I'm gonna cheat a tad...I watched Unforgiven last year and hated it, so I'll just repost that review...I also watched The Apartment last year and loved it, but, since I just recently watched it, I may not tackle that one again so soon.]
  • Watch every Disney animated film (Pixar included) - Time to look back on something that I truly love and find out whether it's worthy of the praise that I constantly attribute to it.
  • Continue to watch "classic films" on actual 35mm film - I had a fun time watching an old favorite of mine (Double Indemnity) and I found a new favorite in Chaplin's City Lights this past year as I watched them on film. Of course, this resolution is totally dependent on certain theater's schedules. So, I can't really be certain this one will be possible.
All right...time to start tackling these. Here's hoping I can stay awake during Gladiator (I've fallen asleep during it once already this evening...).

6 comments:

  1. Gladiator's #5 on my queue.

    Also what is wrong with you, how does one fall asleep in Gladiator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an old man, Justin. What can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You realize you'll have to watch Lord of the Rings, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I own 18 of 'em. Starting from the bottom:
    Casablanca
    Marty (at least I'm pretty sure it's in that United Artists pack)
    The Apartment
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Midnight Cowboy
    The Godfather Part 1
    The Godfather Part 2
    One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest
    Rocky
    Annie Hall
    Platoon
    Rain Man
    Dances with Wolves
    Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    Crash
    The Departed
    No Country for Old Men
    Slumdog Millionaire

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'll have to watch Lord of the Rings (I'm dreading it already), but at least I can maintain my "no Star Wars" clause.

    And as far as those Best Pic winners go, feel free to bring one in for me...[I'll try not to remind you that I still have your Killer Klowns and that I just took How I Met Your Mother Season Three from the downstairs office today]

    ReplyDelete