Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, January 02, 2010

The Year in Review - Books

So, I achieved last year's New Year's resolution -- to read 52 books in 2009, one for each week. I'm definitely on a reading kick now and hopefully it will continue into 2010.

All the books that I read can be found via this link: Book a Week

Here's just a quick run-down of a few things "book-related" in 2009.

  • Favorite Author: John Steinbeck -- I hadn't read a book by him prior to this year, but I'm now thrilled to say that I have an actual "favorite author." Time to tackle Grapes of Wrath this year.
  • Favorite Nonfiction - The Great Deluge - Riveting stuff about Hurricane Katrina. I should really read more nonfiction...
  • Oldest Book - Pride and Prejudice - (Jane Austen) - First published in 1813
  • Most Recent Book - Handle with Care - (Jodi Piccoult) - Published in 2009
Top Ten Books of 2009
  1. The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
  2. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
  3. Ethan Frome - Edith Wharton
  4. East of Eden - John Steinbeck
  5. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
  6. Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates
  7. The Postman Always Rings Twice - James M. Cain
  8. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer
  9. Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut
  10. The Alchemist - Paolo Coelho

No comments:

Post a Comment