Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Movie Review - Post Grad (2009)

Starring Alexis Bledel, Michael Keaton, Carol Burnett, Jane Lynch, Zach Gilford, and Rodrigo Santoro
Directed by Vicky Jenson

Yet another film where that good old English degree does its recipient no good at all (I know the feeling all too well).

Ryden Malby (Alexis Bledel...the younger Gilmore Girl) is a young twentysomething who just recently graduated from college, and, as part of her life plan, aspires to get a job at a prestigious publishing company in her hometown. When she doesn't land the job (and fails to get every other form of employment she applies for), she is forced to move back home with her wacky family, begins working with her father, and starts to fall for her Latin next door neighbor (leaving her best boy friend by the wayside).

This flick was certainly more suited to be a tv movie and I'm not quite sure how it managed to get any type of theatrical release. Problem One is that despite how cute Alexis Bledel is, she's not an actress that captures my attention onscreen. This is a comedy (I shockingly laughed a bit...more on that later), but Bledel is never given much funny to do. Granted, that's not her fault, but it didn't help me to like this character. I'm certainly not one to say that I need a "star" to keep me interested in a film, but Bledel, while not bad, just didn't draw me in.

Problem Two is a simple one -- this movie was pretty poorly directed. Director Vicky Jenson apparently is best known for her work in the animation field...she should stick with that (even if she is the director responsible for the accursed Shrek). I don't know how else to say this, but the film looked crappy. There was nothing here that wasn't by-the-book.

Problem Three is the corny script pertaining to the main plot line of Bledel's Ryden and her lovelife. When your romantic entanglement is resolved by a slow motion shot of someone eating an Eskimo Pie, there's a problem.

That being said, Carol Burnett was in this and her simple presence is enough to make me laugh. I remember watching The Carol Burnett Show as a kid (shockingly enough, it would've been in reruns, folks...I wasn't old enough to watch it when it first aired) and thinking it was some super funny stuff. She doesn't disappoint here. And Burnett is certainly helped by the comedic genius of Jane Lynch. I think she's one funny lady and she certainly has the ability to elevate an otherwise lukewarm movie (see For Your Consideration as an example). Michael Keaton's character was an awful caricature of an overbearing father (in fact, most of the Ryden's family were awful caricatures). However, Keaton manages to sell the role and I laughed a bit despite the fact that I really couldn't stand him (I guess that takes some talent).

There's really nothing here. I mean, maybe if it airs on ABC Family or the CW (which, let's be honest here, it will inevitably air on one of those channels in the future), it may be worth a watch simply for Burnett and Lynch...but other than that, this one can certainly be skipped (and based on last week's box office results, most people decided indeed to pass this over).

The RyMickey Rating: D

6 comments:

  1. So I think you should just stop watching movies that are directed at the female gender. clearly, you rarely enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jeff, you're a walking contradiction. I'm ashamed of you.
    i'll quote you too.
    this review: "I think [jane lynch is] one funny lady and she certainly has the ability to elevate an otherwise lukewarm movie (see Role Models as an example)."
    role models review:
    "Jane Lynch was completely wasted, forced to deliver the most ridiculous lines about drugs and phallic-shaped hot dogs." = not good at all in the movie. which she wasn't. she sucked in this movie. massively. which you admit in that review (and to me personally). it was her delivery and moreso her lines, but still. sucked. possibly the second worst part of the movie next to the kid...and even that's close. she certainly did not "elevate" the movie. she made it worse.
    anyway. watch yourself jeff. you'll never make it as a big time reviewer if you make mistakes like this. i remembered this off the top of my head. if you wrote for a paper/website that mattered I would be writing in about your lack of continuity, decisiveness, and respect for your readers memory and intelligence. tsk tsk.

    burrrnnnnnn.



    shove it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You win, Gregory. Obviously I forget about shitty movies (tried to block Role Models completely from my mind, if I'm being honest). Admittedly, I guess I should refresh myself on my reviews prior to writing something (and I'm being serious with that).

    You also win in the asshole contest. I could never compete with your "wit". Nor will I try...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys i smelled something burning from the main section...

    Jeff, I think Rite-aid carries burn ointment.

    (yes I know you can see the first post but this one came to mind as a hit the button)

    ReplyDelete