Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Big Academy Awards Change

The big news today is that apparently the Motion Picture Academy has changed the Best Picture category to include ten nominees this year, rather than five.  On one hand, it's kind of interesting in that movies like Up (undeservedly) and Star Trek (also probably undeservedly, although more deserving than Up) might get an opportunity to vie for the big prize this year.  On the other hand, it kind of dilutes the honor of being a Best Picture nominee.  

Long ago, at the start of the Academy Awards, I believe there were ten nominees, but they dropped that after a few years.

I don't know...thoughts?  One of you might care and have an opinion.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin -

    I can still see your comment despite your deletion...tee hee...You can feel free to rant away about whatever. Brothers Bloom would never even have had a shot at the Top Ten which is why I didn't mention it (same with Drag Me To Hell -- which I still frickin' love).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you can, but it was more of a catharsis towards the dick I've been lately. So it was for me :-D

    I think they're opening it up basically to get more viewership. If they had 10 slots open last year Dark Knight, Wall-e, Rachel Getting Married, and I can even see Iron Man being in there(I would put it in the top 10 of last year at least.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I care. but maybe I'm wrong

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin -

    It's definitely a response to Wall*E and Dark Knight being left by the wayside last year. I'm not sure Rachel Getting Married would've made the cut since it didn't even make the cut for screenplay...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What would have been nominated last year, assuming it doesn't affect the ones already nominated:
    Slumdog, Frost/Nixon, Ben Button, Milk, The Reader
    The Dark Knight
    Wall-e
    The Wrestler
    Iron Man
    Doubt(they seemed to have a chubby for this movie)

    In my opinion at least.
    Doom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Justin -

    Your choices are probably accurate with Iron Man being the only one that may not have made the cut (Dark Knight would've held that "big budget" slot).

    Of course, I'd like to hope that Revolutionary Road would've been in there, but the Academy didn't seem to love that one at all for some reason.

    If anything, I think one of Eastwood's flicks -- Changeling or Gran Torino -- would've been in there. Since, using your terminology, the Academy certainly has a chubby for all of Eastwood's films, despite the fact that the guy hasn't made a movie that I've loved yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I was stupid for mentioning Iron Man last night, then immediately after I read the article about this on Rotten Tomatoes and read this '"This year [when Slumdog Millionaire emerged victorious], five formidable films were nominated, but The Dark Knight, Iron Man and WALL.e were not," Academy president Sid Ganis said yesterday'

    Made me happy.

    ReplyDelete