Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Jon Minus Kate Plus Eight Sad Little Kids

So I just posted my Jon and Kate Gosselin book review two days ago, and I get home from an exciting day at The Most Magical Place on Earth and find out they're divorcing.

Now, in the grand scheme of things, I don't really give a hoot, but for a couple whose book focused entirely too much on religion and faith and God, I find it a little hypocritical that they're headed for divorce.  I'm not saying that religious folk shouldn't divorce, and of course, I have no idea of the inner workings of their household and I have not watched any of the show this season, but it was obvious throughout the course of the show that Kate was more than a little harsh on her hubby (oftentimes unjustly so).  Still, where's the counseling?  Lord knows that wasn't shown on television.  

And what gets me even more is that in this Associated Press article, Kate proudly touts that "the show MUST go on."  Really, you don't want to spend time alone with your EIGHT young kids?  It's all about the Benjamins, I guess (yes, I really just used that terminology.  Maybe I'll bring that back along with "chillax").  As a matter of fact, I think that's what pisses me off the most about the whole thing.  Forget about the hypocritical nature of throwing aside the devout religious aspect of your life, but you're really gonna keep doing the show simply because it's bringing in the dough?  You're really gonna keep doing your book tours?  Forget about the fact that those things contributed (largely?) to the downfall of your marriage.  I don't know, but it screams sleazy and cheap and wrong to me.

Please note that I really don't care all that much and the only reason I'm blogging about it is because I just wrote the book review, but it irks me even more now having read the book.  

Lies!  Lies!  All lies, I tell you!

...Maybe I just need to chillax...

2 comments:

  1. So after finally watching the episode, I am throughly annoyed that she displayed her grievances with john to the crooked house people too. I am glad the show is taking a break because if not I am not sure I could put up with her "woe is me" crap much longer. Ive only watched every episode thanks to dvr. I really think she needs to be reminded of the bs she apparently wrote in her book (which yes i'd still like to read). Don't worry, you havent missed a thing this season. Hope you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda - the book is yours to read upon my return.

    Yes, I am having fun...it's hot as heck down here (and crowded, too), but being here for such an extended period of time makes you be able to relax.

    Like I said, I haven't watched an episode this season...and I don't think I'm going to. They've angered me...the kids are still young and it doesn't seem like they've really even tried to work things out.

    ReplyDelete