Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Fathers' Day (Sort Of) [A Semi-Angry Old Man Rant]

So I'm on vacation at the Happiest Place on Earth and it's frickin' hot.  Central Florida is breaking records today...hitting triple digits most likely.  Combine that heat with the onslaught of big crowds and obnoxious Brazilian tour groups and the Happiest Place on Earth becomes slightly unhappy.

Nevertheless, the real reason for this post is the frustration (I guess that's the best word) that hit me when I'm walking around the Happiest Place on Earth, strolling by all these chipper Cast Members who decide to wish me "Happy Fathers' Day" today.  I totally get that I'm well into the age where I could certainly be a father, but how am I supposed to react to that?  "Um...no, I'm not."  Which then gets the response from a Cast Member, "Well, you could be, so Happy Fathers' Day anyway."  Wow.  Gee.  Thanks.

I mean, it's not like it's depressing or anything that I'm not a father, but it just brings up the whole "What am I doing with my life" thing again...writing a blog?

I knew I shoulda shaved my goatee before I came down here...maybe it woulda made me look a few years younger.

Anyway, Happy Fathers' Day to those of you who are fathers...

5 comments:

  1. You without a goatee: http://www.jzakweb.com/movies/images/pattonoswalt.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. They should just be saying Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See - I would have thought the question in your mind would have been, "Why am I in Disney World without a child?"
    As that seems to be the message/agenda that they are pushing by wishing people a Happy Father's Day.
    As a point of interest - We're your younger cousins near you when this was happening?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meggo - No, and this is even more depressing...My 16 year old cousin from Hawaii was in the vicinity. Now, I don't think that the Cast Member saw my cousin, but if she did, that's even more depressing.

    The Christmas thing doesn't bother me all that much because I look at the "Happy Holidays" saying as more of a "Politically Correct" issue and "Happy Holidays", at times, sometimes pisses me off more because of the touchy-feely-ness of our society. That being said, I never say "Merry Christmas" at work and always go the "Happy Holidays" route, so I really can't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I guess its the thought that counts in a twisted way, but seriously, in however many years, I can see you running around disney with your own bunch of kids acting like you were twelve again and then you'll be happy when mickey says happy father's day.

    ReplyDelete