Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What I'm Listening To - "Home" by Marc Broussard

A meld of rock, country, pop, soul, and blues, New Orleans native Marc Broussard is a new favorite of mine. Full disclosure -- I discovered him while flicking through the channels and stopping on Country Music Television. But don't let that fool you. If he is country (which isn't how I would classify him at all), he's definitely different than any country I've ever listened to (of course, the only embeddable video of his first single I could find was from Country Music Television's website).

"Home" is from his 2004 album Carencro, and it's definitely Broussard at his best.




The pulsing drumbeat leads to one of my favorite bridges in music which starts at 2:20 in the video above ("Hot damn" as Marc himself says).

Trying to provide you with another song by Marc proved difficult. He's only made three music videos and the other two were for songs that were just okay. There's a ton of live stuff on youtube, but the quality isn't the greatest.

But, below is another favorite of mine and the sound quality is actually not bad. Here he is performing a cover of Marvin Gaye's "If I Could Build My Whole World Around You" off of his soul covers album S.O.S. Save Our Soul.



I've never heard of this Toby Lightman who he sings with here, but a quick iTunes search brought up the song "NASCAR Love (Let's Go Racing)" and I realized that I never want to hear from her again, regardless of whether she's any good or not.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you discovered Marc, but he's got a lot more stuff out there than just Home. Not in video form, expect the live stuff, but you should check out his newest album, Keep Coming Back.

    And as for Toby Lightman - she's GREAT! Don't give up on her just because they hired her to do some NASCAR song - she's got soul and has a really beautiful voice - her latest album got the top 3 rotation in my CD player for 2008.

    And yes, you're right, Marc is not country, but for some reason CMT has always liked playing the Home video and that's fine by us!

    *I found your blog due to a Google Alert for Marc - I work with him. Take care!

    ReplyDelete