Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Book A Week - To Kill a Mockingbird



Week 1 - Book 1 of the Book a Week Quest

To Kill a Mockingbird
by Harper Lee


These book reviews are gonna be short and sweet...reminds me too much of book reports...

I really think I'm the only person my age to have never read To Kill a Mockingbird.  To be honest, I was a little worried that the "classicness" of the book would turn me off of this whole "book a week" thing...

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.  No summary needed for this one, but I will say that I don't quite get the allure of it in terms of every teenager needing to read it in high school.  Still, it was a good read.  Characters were well developed and interesting, the writing style was easy-to-read, and the story was fine, though a little dated (to be expected, however).  

The only thing I'll criticize is that I felt like the end dragged a bit.  Once the court case was over, I thought the book would be done...but it went on for significantly longer than I expected...dragging its feet as it did.  I was honestly ready for it to be over.

That being said, I'm happy I can check this classic off the list...

Week 2's book: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Yeah, um...book "reviews" aren't so much fun to write... 

No comments:

Post a Comment