Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Monday, January 05, 2009

A Book a Week

"I used to walk to school with my nose buried in a book." - Coolio

Really, Coolio? As you walked through your "Gangsta's Paradise" your nose was in a book? I find that hard to believe. Of course, since I found that quote on the web, who knows if it is properly credited.

Last year, I read a whopping one novel. Granted, it was a doozy -- Cormac McCarthy's The Road -- but it was still only one. Nothing can numb your mind like reality television. While I'm not gonna give up the reality tv (American Idol starts in mere days), I can't live with not reading anymore, so a few of my work colleagues and I decided to pledge to read a book a week for a year. Why not, right?

First up, one that seemingly every single other American other than myself has already read -- Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.

So, in the immortal words of Dr. Seuss -- "The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."

2 comments:

  1. A great plan--most of my reading is books on CD. Right now I'm reading Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa (never read it before)--I went through all of Hemingway's novels at one point and may re-read them (I'm inspired!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list of books, by the way...I remember you showing me that in the past and I realized I hadn't read but one or two things on it.

    After Pride and Prejudice this week, I think I'm gonna need something light, but after that I'll be picking something from one of those lists for sure...

    ReplyDelete