Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Friday, January 23, 2009

A Book a Week - Of Mice and Men


Book Four of the Book a Week Quest

Of Mice and Men
by John Steinbeck, 1937


Short, sweet, and to the point. Clocking in at less than 100 pages, Of Mice and Men is certainly a simple story, but a touching (and shocking) one, detailing the lengths one will go to in order to protect a friend.

My first venture into Steinbeck, I truly appreciated the writing style and the seemingly "real" dialogue. It was a breeze to read, and out of the four books so far, it was definitely the one that had me most wanting to know what happened next. I really knew nothing about the book and I was certainly surprised (although when they started to talk about the need to kill an old dog, I kind of guessed where it was going to go...I just really didn't think it was going to go there).

Anyway, I was thoroughly impressed that such a simple writing style could depict settings and characters so vividly.

I'm definitely picking up another Steinbeck in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. Thomas, you said I could borrow that book too!! Me first!! and can I borrow this book too please?

    ReplyDelete