Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, March 27, 2010

The RyMickey Awards - Best Films of 2009

I saw 200 movies in 2009.  Here's the Top 20...and the longest post ever on the blog...(Although this'll be my first time using that annoying blog staple "the click here for more" button)

Honorable Mentions (in alphabetical order)


And the Best Movies of 2009 Are...

If the screengrab above doesn't tell you what you're in for with Crank: High Voltage, I don't know what will.   I mean, sure, it's not as odd as the line "I'm gonna go floss my teeth with some pubes" which is uttered during the film's quick running time, but a guy with first-degree burns essentially throwing out a "F@$% You" to the paying movie-going audience is something you don't see every day in cinema.

Certainly, Crank: High Voltage is no Citizen Kane, but it's one hell of an enjoyable ride.  It's an equal opportunity offender and it doesn't hold back a thing.  At moments, that "balls-to-the-wall" attitude is a detriment (the film does go over the top a few too many times), but, for the most part, you're in for a crazy funhouse of a film.

The rest of the Top 20 is after the jump...(seriously...I spent some time on this, so click on that darn tiny "read more" link below [can't figure out a way to make it bolder] and read on...and feel free to leave a comment!)



 #19 - Jerichow
Based on the 1934 pulp novel The Postman Always Rings Twice (which I read last year as part of my successful Book-a-Week quest), this German film is essentially a three-character piece.  A torrid affair makes the two lovers contemplate murder in order to let their romance continue.  It all leads to a terrific climactic confrontation and a final shot and line of dialog that still resonates with me today.  [This one's currently streaming on Netflic, by the way, so check it out.  Don't let the fact that's it's foreign scare you...it's under 90 minutes...give it a shot.]
Yes, this one lost a little bit of its allure upon second viewing, but it's still a cleverly crafted, darkly comedic horror film.  On the small screen, the comedy aspects unfortunately seem a little too over the top, but Sam Raimi has co-written and directed a nifty flick here that sadly bombed at the box office likely because it relies more on a sense of foreboding and eeriness rather than actual scare tactics.

All that being said, the final scene of this movie is the best scene in films in 2009.  I walked out of this one unsettled (and I'm pretty sure that was Raimi's goal).
This directorial debut of actor Michael Keaton was a pleasant surprise.  An unexpected romance forms between a young woman who has been (physically) hurt by men in the past and, unbeknown to her, a sniper.  Sounds rather silly, but it's really a lovely film.  It takes its time to get where it's going, but it's the simplicity of it all that won me over.  Plus, it's one of those rare flicks that looks at spirituality in a positive, but not preachy manner (and don't let that frighten you away from it).
I didn't love this at all the first time around.  It wasn't until a second viewing upon the Blu-ray release that I began to appreciate this war epic.  It is certainly true that Tarantino goes over the top, but at least he creates entertainment.  Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz are amazing...I'd watch another flick with those two characters in a heartbeat.


Do I wish Quentin would learn to be a little less verbose?  Sure.  But he at least crafts films that are unlike anyone else's.
These two documentaries couldn't be more different and it's tough to choose which one I liked better.

Detailing a terrible dolphin-killing practice in Japan, The Cove plays like a real-life heist flick as a crew of twelve band together to try and put a stop to the inhumane activity.

On a much lighter note, Every Little Step is a reality show brought to the screen.  While that sounds derogatory, it's not meant to be.  The story of aspiring actors and actresses as they try out for a revival of Broadway's A Chorus Line, the film is a unique glimpse into the behind-the-scenes drama and tension these young (and sometimes aging) folks face.  Surprisingly well made and I was shocked that it managed to get me to care about these people.  [Every Little Step is currently streaming on Netflix.]

#14 - Orphan
Dear Vera Farmiga,

Oh, Vera.  You are probably my favorite actress working today.  I realize you probably felt like you were "stooping" to a new low in this horror film, but you helped raise Orphan from simply an average flick to one that I've already enjoyed on multiple viewings.

You were certainly aided by Peter Sarsgaard as your husband and young Isabelle Fuhrman as your freakish adopted daughter.  Plus, while the script had a tad too many typical "fake" horror scares, it still has some major twists that through me for a loop.

In the end, though, it is your nuanced performance (yes, I realize this was simply a horror movie, but I feel like that's an honest assessment about your role) that stands out and will make me return to this fun flick multiple times.

Yours truly,
RyMickey

#13 - The Brothers Bloom
Filled with some absolutely absurd moments, The Brothers Bloom is a cleverly directed comedy.  Even when it veers into the drama during the last 45 minutes, writer-director Rian Johnson gets some winning performances from his central four cast members.  Adrian Brody does his best work since The Pianist and Rinko Kikuchi's Bang Bang is one of my favorite characters from 2009.

#12 - The Burning Plain
Guillermo Arriaga is known for his tales with multiple narratives that eventually come together in intriguing ways because of an overarching theme (drug abuse in 21 Grams and guns in Babel).  His directorial debut, The Burning Plain, similarly follows that multi-character concept, but doesn't contain the heavy-handed themes of his previous writing efforts.  Instead, the tale focuses on three women who are all connected somehow.  When the relationships are revealed, I was riveted.

#11 - Brothers
My fellow moviegoer despised this when we saw it a few months ago, but I found this tale of post-war depression gripping.  Tobey Maguire may veer into overacting at moments, but Jake Gyllenhaal and the lovely Natalie Portman's subdued performances more than make up for that.  Plus, director Jim Sheridan pulled out some stellar performances by two child actresses, Bailee Madison and Taylor Geare, that are worth the rental alone.  It's always nice to see war-centered films that simply tell the story like it is, rather than push a political agenda. 

#10 - Julia
Tilda Swinton is a revelation as the title character in this movie that no one has seen.  As an alcoholic in desperate need of money to support her addiction, Julia stoops to kidnapping a young kid from a wealthy family in order to grab some quick cash.  As is the case in most capers, things don't go according to plan.

The film is unique in that it's rather long -- 150 minutes -- and keeps the title character onscreen in every single scene.  We witness her life over the course of two weeks, and, despite her horrible actions, we begin to feel deeply for the troubled Julia.  She's doing an awful thing, but when things spiral out of control, we want her to come out on top.  It's a slippery slope that the writers, director, and star had to navigate, but the film is a success (as evidenced by its Top Ten placement).  [This film is currently streaming on Netflix.]

#9 - Avatar
I know full well this movie will not hold up on a second viewing which is why I'm not sure I'll ever watch it again.  In its initial release, though, I was enthralled in the world that the cocky James Cameron created.  Special effects-wise, Avatar is a visual nirvana.  In this era where everything is being made in the "newfound" 3D format, Avatar made the most of the extra dimension, doing so without being the least bit gimmicky.

I'll admit that there are faults -- the biggest being a lukewarm script -- but, in the moment, I enjoyed myself.  Talk to me after I take in a second viewing and those thoughts may change completely.

#8 - Up in the Air
The second Vera Farmiga flick on this list, Up in the Air is a nice, simple adult drama about the connections we all make with others.  George Clooney is charming and Ms. Farmiga is great.  Anna Kendrick (the only good thing in the Twilight movies) has a tricky role here, playing an annoying up-and-comer in Clooney's business, but she does as good a job as she can with her rather obnoxious character.

The one-two-three punch of Thank You for Smoking, Juno, and Up in the Air prove director Jason Reitman's films are something to look forward to -- smart, witty, character-driven "dramadies."

#7 - Bright Star 
Bright Star is one of the most beautiful romances I've ever seen put on film.  Based on the true story of Fanny Brawne, a seamstress, and her love for the English poet John Keats, director-writer Jane Campion has crafted a simple romance with some of the best visuals I've seen this year (see my RyMickey Award for Cinematography for proof).  With the help of some wonderful performances by Abbie Cornish and Ben Whishaw, Campion weaves a tale of passion without the least bit of luridness -- a relationship based on love, rather than physicality.  There was something refreshing about it that, while not new, was wonderful to see.


#6 - Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
While it may be one of the most ungainly titles ever for a motion picture, Precious contains some of the best acting of the year.  Newcomer Gabourey Sidibe creates a subdued performance as the title character that masks all of the pain and horror she goes through on a daily basis.  Mo'Nique is simply amazing as the mother who inflicts that horror on her daughter.  Mo'Nique was fully deserving of her Oscar and, based on the nominees, Sidibe should have joined her.  Add in a surprisingly controlled performance from Mariah Carey as a concerned social worker and a heartwarming turn from Paula Patton as Precious' teacher and you've got a roster full of talented ladies.

Although I certainly noticed it the first time around, a second viewing proved that director Lee Daniels relies much too heavily on camera trickery and gimmicks.  Nevertheless, he garnered some amazing performances from his leading ladies, making Precious a powerful tale that I won't soon forget.


#5 - Surveillance
I'm guessing this film was not on a single Top Ten list posted anywhere in 2009.  I'm guessing 99% of people haven't heard of it.  Nevertheless, I found this crime caper utterly amusing and a real joy to watch.  Surveillance is essentially a straightforward interrogation flick with two FBI investigators descending on a Midwest town attempting to get to the bottom of a series of murders that are causing panic.  What makes the film unique is its quirkiness -- it's oddball characters, while not "real," didn't seem the least bit out of place in this world that director and co-writer Jennifer Lynch created.  As the film builds to its climax, I was absolutely riveted and then, in the end, utterly shocked.

This isn't a film for all.  It takes a suspension of belief at times.  But if you're willing to give it a go, you'll be rewarded at the end.  It's fun.  And sometimes that's all one can ask for from a film.  [This film is currently streaming on Netflix.]


#4 - The Hurt Locker
Winner of the Academy Award for Best Picture of the year, The Hurt Locker is a fantastic war film.  Director Kathryn Bigelow places us right in the middle of the action on the battlefield of the streets of Iraq, following Jeremy Renner's bomb diffuser William James as he gets his adrenaline rush from performing his job.

The film is certainly episodic in nature, but it manages to ratchet up the tension with each subsequent scene.  Most filmmakers would find it risky to have a scene in which soldiers are simply waiting around for hours hoping to get a shot at killing a sniper who is hiding in an abandoned building. Bigelow keeps us there, in the midst of the "non-action" which, in turn, creates more excitement than any battle would have created.


#3 - The Messenger 
The third film centered around the Iraq war in my Top 20, and the third film that refuses to blatantly take sides.  The Messenger is one of the few films in 2009 that emotionally resonated with me.  It's not that I have close relatives in the military, nor do I know anyone who has been killed on the battlefield.  Despite this, director and co-writer Oren Moverman was able to hit a nerve in me with the gut-wrenching scenes of family members of U.S. soldiers hearing about their loved one's deaths.  Moverman keeps the camera right in the middle of these gripping scenes, not shying away, but not intruding on the actors -- it's as if I was in the room, witnessing it all, unable to walk away.  Just powerful, powerful stuff.

In addition to the scenes of the loved ones reacting to the tragic news, we're also treated to the stories of the two soldiers who are recruited to deliver the news.  Ben Foster and Woody Harrelson are both fantastic here, and while I would have liked the ability to "root for" Foster's character a little more, the two actors share a scene towards the end of the film that is emotionally devastating.


#2 - A Serious Man 
Aah, the Gopnik family.  Dad's a physics professor at the local college.  Mom's cheating on him with a family friend.  Son's sneaking off to do drugs with his buddies instead of studying for his bar mitzvah.  And good old Uncle Arthur is in the midst of solving a math problem called the Mentaculus that will allow him to predict all future occurrences.  An odd family, for sure, but they are all a treat to watch for two hours.

Granted, I'm not a Coen Brothers connoisseur, but I've seen enough to know that they have quirky sensibilities that don't exactly scream "MAINSTREAM!" and A Serious Man is no exception.  On the surface, they have crafted an intelligent comedy, but at its nougaty center is a really serious film centering on the notion that one is always being judged (by others and by a higher power) and one may have to "pay" for one's actions in the long run.

I'm still utterly amazed at the cojones the Brothers Coen had to end their film the way that they did.  At the film's conclusion with the screen going black, I remember simply sitting in my seat in the (unfortunately, nearly empty) theater with my bottom jaw dropped in pure shock and awe at the intriguing ending.  Was that really it? I asked myself.  That was the end?  And it was.  And it was good.


#1 - Fantastic Mr. Fox
There's a slight amount of guilt for this self-professed Disney freak to place a non-Disney animated film at the top of his 2009 Best Films list.  I'll say my penance to Walt -- three Hail Mickeys oughtta do it -- and that'll be that.

Anyway, Fantastic Mr. Fox is hands-down the best film of 2009.  Wes Anderson has created an animated film that, despite the talking animals, never feels like an animated film.  Utilizing the best stop-motion animation I have ever seen, every single frame of film could be framed on a wall and look exquisite.

From the costumes to the set design to the character movements, everything is top notch, including some stellar voicework from the likes of George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Jason Schwartzman, and Bill Murray.

I haven't even touched upon the story -- the film is like a storybook come to life.  Each character is crafted in such a way that gives them unique qualities and leaves the viewer anticipating their next moves.  The wit and humor on display in each of these characters amazes me.

I'll end the write-up of this flick with what I wrote in my original review:
I find it much more difficult to write about movies that I love...I simply don't want to write about them, but instead just want to get back to the theater and watch them again. So, this may seem like a lack of enthusiasm, but whatever I say won't begin to convey my love for this movie.

2 comments:

  1. Way to spoil Crank 2 for me.

    *doesn't read*

    Kidding.

    Or... AM I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really disappointed that I've only been able to see three of these movies (Fantastic Mr. Fox, Precious, Hurt Locker), but thank you for pointing out that I can stream Julia on netflix! I totally agree with Fantastic Mr. Fox as #1, even though I probably only saw five or so 2009 releases.

    ReplyDelete