Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Movie Review - Avatar 3D (2009)

Starring Sam Worthington, Zoë Saldana, Giovanni Ribisi, and Sigourney Weaver
Directed by James Cameron

James Cameron's Avatar takes us to the planet Pandora where ten foot-tall blue human-like creatures roam, gaining strength (via some anemone-like phalanges at the ends of their ponytailed hair) from elements of their environment like trees and animals. The Marines, however, have been commissioned to assist some corporate bigwigs in mining for some special expensive, coal-like element on Pandora. In order to both better learn about and infiltrate the Na'vi people of Pandora, scientists have crafted avatars -- they take a human and create a Na'vi-like creature that the human can control from hundreds of miles away via some sophisticated machinery.

Jake Sully (Worthington) is a paraplegic marine whose twin brother was heavily involved in the avatar program. However, at the beginning of the film, the brother has died and since Jake's DNA is similar to his brother's, Jake is pulled into the program to take his brother's place. At odds with the program's scientific director, Grace (Weaver), Jake takes control of his avatar much too quickly and almost immediately infiltrates the Na'vi people, taking a liking to their leader's daughter, Neytiri (Saldana). Jake soon finds himself conflicted between his strong Marine training and the passive nature of the Na'vi.

The story is ridiculously drawn out over an unnecessary 165 minutes. Somehow, though, even with an incredibly boring middle 40 minutes, I didn't find myself wondering when this thing was going to be over. And the reason for that is the visuals and the visuals alone.

This is, without a doubt, the best looking 3D film I've seen in theaters. Cameron has crafted a rich, sumptuous land in Pandora, one that is unlike any I've seen on film. We're completely taken into this new land filled with dinosaur-like creatures and phototropic plants. While on Pandora, we venture into a land completely created by CGI and witness characters brought to life via motion-capture technology. Just recently, I reviewed Disney's A Christmas Carol and I said I wasn't completely sold on the motion-capture technique. Well, I'll eat my words because Avatar has taken this new technology and stepped up the game by leaps and bounds. Sure, it still feels like I'm watching a cartoon, but it's the most realistic-looking cartoon I've ever seen.

Often with 3D, there's a slight blur to any type of quick motion, but Avatar looked amazingly crystal clear. Whether on Pandora or on the human's spaceships, everything looked stunningly "perfect." It really was a beauty to behold.

While the story lacked, it certainly wasn't the fault of the actors, all of whom really brought their A-game. Sam Worthington who starred in this summer's Terminator: Salvation proves an strong leading man who, whether in his human or avatar form, is quite an onscreen presence. Sigourney Weaver is unfortunately saddled with the worst lines of the script, forced to often spout the "science" behind the goings-on, but she still manages to rise above the silly dialogue (and she's really quite attractive for being sixty). I loved Giovanni Ribisi's bit role as the corporate shill for the company going after the lucrative mineral deposits on Pandora. Taking on what is esentially the nasty Paul Reiser part in James Cameron's Aliens, Ribisi is a joy to watch...I just wish he had a bigger role.

Surprisingly, my favorite role belongs to Zoë Saldana who was completely computer-animated the entire time. As Jake Sully's love interest, the geniuses at the special effects departments captured every little nuance of Saldana's body language (they captured this in everyone...it really was a treat to watch the little facial and body tics like a tensing of the neck or a slight raise of an eyebrow...it certainly didn't go unnoticed by me). Saldana's really is an exquisite, unique, and gripping portrayal -- both animal and human in one.

So, is this the best movie of the year? Nah. But James Cameron really has created something special, one-of-a-kind, and innovative. Going into this, I had big doubts, but having seen it, I'm able to look past the simply average, mundane script and see the bigger picture. Avatar is quite possibly a revolution in animation and digital cinema and something that really shouldn't be missed on the big screen.

The RyMickey Rating: B+

9 comments:

  1. Didn't even notice you posted this like 5 minutes ago. I'm not stalking your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't expecting it either...the more I think about it, the more I like it actually. I didn't think I was going to place it as high in the 4s until I got home and really spent some time thinking about it.

    I mean, it's really not a great movie in terms of story, but it's visually something to see, and far and away the best digital anything we've shown (and I watched it on 14, so I'm sure it looks really great on 3).

    And I don't think you're stalking the blog...when something this great is posted on the interwebs, how can you not be looking at it 24-7?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Jeff completely. I want to compare the IMAX vs theatre 3. On the screen some background 3D looked blurry/out of focus and our show started late because they messed it up? So I am doubting I got the whole true experience. So I'll probably see it again in IMAX and then here. It's a shame the story has no surprises what so ever. I predicted basically everything that was coming but god damn the world is so immersive and enthralling, I can overlook the cliches and paper-thin characters and george lucas dialogue. I had fun and was in awe. Also Cameron did very good shot selection and composition with the 3D. Very well developed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may hold off a few months and wait til the IMAX buzz dies down and head up to KoP and hopefully see it for free.

    Paper-thin story that's overshadowed by some really incredible visuals. If the story were even a tad better (and I wasn't bored out of my mind during the middle 40 minutes where they were "falling in love"), this would've gotten a 4.5 and may have landed in the top 3 of the year...as it stands now, though, it looks pretty secure as a Top Ten film...

    ...which I wasn't expecting at all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing I keep thinking about is their lips...

    They were so real.

    The skin in general.

    God damn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #21 on the IMDB top 250.

    I can see it settling in the 100-175 range.

    ReplyDelete