Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Movie Review - Trick 'r Treat (2008)

Trick 'r Treat
Starring Anna Paquin, Brian Cox, and Dylan Baker
Directed by Michael Dougherty

I'm sure no one has even heard of this flick, but I watched this one simply because it was getting raves on aintitcoolnews. The crew over there was quite upset that it never got a theatrical release...there's a reason for that. The movie sucks.

A sort-of anthology of four or five tales that take place on Halloween night in a small American town, the film doesn't play the horror for laughs, but it's utterly laughable. None of the tales -- the high school principal who murders his students; the young kids who try to prank the school geek; the college gal looking for love; or the old man who refuses to give out Halloween candy -- manage any sort of tension or suspense. The "scares" (and I use that term very loosely here) are predictable and fall flat.

There's really nothing worth talking about with this one. Not even worth a streaming Netflix view.

The RyMickey Rating: D-

3 comments:

  1. I actually watched this on Thursday. I liked it a lot...
    View it as a Halloween movie and not necessarily a horror movie. It's better that way.
    Meh, I was thoroughly entertained during it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I just had a bunch of issues with it, some of which are below:

    1) Wasn't scary in slightest, nor was it funny.

    2) The Anna Paquin story? And the way they tried to tie in other stories with it? Didn't work for me.

    3) Why the heck did they show who was inside that pumpkinhead guy? I mean, the only thing that was remotely eerie to me was that pumpkin guy and then they take off the mask to reveal some poorly crafted "alien" looking thing?

    Hey...to each his own...I just didn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see it as trying to be scary or funny. (Besides the opening scene)

    The Anne Paquin Story was definitely the weaker story of the... 4? But it felt like it only lasted 5 minutes so I can't really complain about it. And they tried to connect each story within every story.

    And I agree they shouldn't have unmasked Sam.

    ReplyDelete