Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Visual Effects Oscar Contenders

The Academy released the list of contenders for the Visual Effects Oscar for this year.

“Angels & Demons”
“Avatar”
“Coraline”
“Disney’s A Christmas Carol”
“District 9”
“G-Force”
“G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra”
“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”
“Sherlock Holmes”
“Star Trek”
“Terminator Salvation”
“Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen”
“2012”
“Watchmen”
“Where the Wild Things Are”

The visual effects Oscar only has three nominees (I think). Two of the above -- Star Trek and Terminator -- are currently on my list, with The Hurt Locker (also on my list) absent and out of contention for the Oscar. At this point, I haven't seen Avatar, Sherlock Holmes, or 2012.

Looking at the list, though, I find it very odd that Coraline and A Christmas Carol are here. If they're on this list, I feel like it should negate them from being Animated Feature contenders. And Where the Wild Things Are? The costumes kicked ass but special effects? Maybe they were so subtle, I didn't notice...

5 comments:

  1. How does being nominated for Visual effects negate an Animated feature nomination?

    That's like saying Whaaat a make-up nomination? They can't get nominated for best picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not saying that a film that's nominated for fx can't be nominated for best picture. I guess the thing is that I don't see how "special effects" play a role in animated features.

    Take Christmas Carol for example. Where's the line between fx and animation if it's ALL animated. Same with Coraline. Is there a line anymore or have we blurred that line completely? With the dissolution of hand-drawn stuff, is all computer animation "special fx"?

    Obviously, I'm not an expert and I'm sure that there's something animators utilize computers for above and beyond typical "animation software." And obviously I'm not seeing the 15 minute reels that the Oscar members see describing their utilization of special fx in their films. But to my eye, it just seems like computer animated movies would be entirely special fx, would they not?

    And if that's the case, does special fx = animation and vice-versa?

    It's late and I'm sure that doesn't make sense, but I'm gonna post it anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite it's "flaws" I absolutely loved District 9's visuals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, now, District 9 (a film I liked) actually disappointed me in its special effects. If I remember correctly, I said in my review that I liked the way the aliens looked up close, but from a distance, they were somewhat disappointing.

    Then again, I'd choose District 9 over the cartoony special effects of G-Force and in-your-face fiasco of Transformers any day

    ReplyDelete