Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Monday, December 07, 2009

Movie Review - Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

Starring Kermit, Miss Piggy, Gonzo, Rizzo the Rat, Fozzie Bear, and Michael Caine
Directed by Brian Henson

Everyone's seen this story before (and we've seen this story retold this year), but at least with the Muppets we get some comedy thrown into the mix as well.

It's been a few years since I've watched this one and I completely forgot that three of the songs on the film's soundtrack don't make it into the actual film at all -- two of them it was right to remove, but the haunting melody of "When Love Is Gone" certainly would've added emotional oomph to the flick and should have been left in (it's included in the "director's cut" on the dvd).

Anyway, my favorite part of the movie has to be Gonzo as Charles Dickens and Rizzo the Rat as Rizzo the Rat, both playing our narrators for journey. Humor abounds from these two and it's a nice addition to a story we all know well.

My slight qualm with this version is that Michael Caine isn't quite as mean as I'd like my Scrooge to be. He's certainly fine in the role, but he's not as harsh as I'd hope.

Still, an incredibly amusing version of the tale. And who doesn't love the frickin' Muppets?

The RyMickey Rating: B+

3 comments:

  1. 1) This is my all time favorite Christmas movie.
    2) "When Love is Gone" is actually included in the VHS version, which was released many many years before the DVD.
    3) Best line: Gonzo (to Rizzo): You are such an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the Christmas Spirit Scale Rating!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane -

    That must be why I felt like "When Love Is Gone" was in the movie. I know I saw this movie in the movie theater and I guess the song wasn't in the movie then...but then that makes perfect sense why I thought it was in the movie if it was on the VHS because this was one movie I watched nearly every holiday season.

    Also, that line kind of comes out of nowhere and gets me every time. The delivery is perfect.

    And Gregory, even though this isn't part of the Christmas Movie a Day series, I'd probably go with an '8'.

    ReplyDelete