Featured Post

Letterboxd Reviews

So as you know, I stopped writing lengthy reviews on this site this year, keeping the blog as more of a film diary of sorts.  Lo and behold,...

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Movie Review - The Blind Side (2009)

Starring Sandra Bullock, Tim McGraw, Kathy Bates, and Quinton Aaron
Directed by John Lee Hancock

There's nothing wrong with a feel-good movie and I guess that's what The Blind Side is. It doesn't try to be anything more than what the sum of its parts will allow it be. Sure, it's treacly and too sugary sentimental most of the time, but thanks to a winning performance from Sandra Bullock, this flick is able to rise a little bit above its "tv-movie-of-the-week" feel.

Based on a true story, Sandra Bullock is Leigh Anne Tuohy, a rich upper-class suburban interior designer from a small town in Texas. Driving home one night from their son's Thanksgiving play at his Christian school, she and her husband (played surprisingly well by country singer Tim McGraw) spot the school's new student, Big Mike, walking along the road by himself. It turns out that Mike is homeless and struggling to survive, abandoned by his druggie mother. The Tuohys take Mike into their home and, as is the case in all feel-good films, eventually make Mike a part of their family.

Like I said, the tale is overly maudlin and mushy, and the movie really goes on for about 30 minutes too long (I thought it was going to end two reels before it did). Somehow, though, thanks in large part to good ole Sandra Bullock, this flick comes out a slight winner. Bullock (whose accent completely annoyed me in the trailer for this film, but didn't bother me at all during the movie) comes across as a completely believable woman, which given the script's by-the-book storytelling technique, is an accomplishment. She takes on the role of Leigh Anne with gusto and it's probably the best role I've seen her tackle (football pun not intended).

Certainly aiding Bullock is Tim McGraw (I can't believe I just typed that). McGraw is the second name listed in the opening credits and 80 minutes into the movie I was wondering when he was going to show up. Then I realized that he was playing Bullock's husband...it completely threw me for a loop. He looks quite different than I recall him looking, and, he's a shockingly good actor. Sure, he isn't required to do a ton here, but he played off of Bullock incredibly well. Their relationship was entirely believable and rather charming.

So despite this movie's flaws (I didn't even touch on the Tuohy's annoying son, who, although very funny, was the only character in this thing that felt like a "character"), The Blind Side is certainly a charming enough piece of fluff to warrant the box office grosses it has been receiving for the past four weekends.

The RyMickey Rating: C+

5 comments:

  1. Tim McGraw likes to share his ever so good looking gotee for every movie he's been in and ditch the hat too. Of course he's a good actor, he's Tim McGraw!!
    Sandra Bullock definately did a good job in this movie and we both know how I can't stand her the majority of the time.

    "You know I never thought I'd say this, but I can't believe I have a black son before I met a democrat!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just think it's time Hollywood stops making these cookie-cutter movies where impoverished black people become lawyers or doctors or university professors. Maybe it's time to grow some balls and show a large black man who's good at sports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I have to admit, I was getting really tired of the ol' cliched story where a black person works really hard and achieves greatness because of their skills and perseverance. I think a more thematically interesting conceit is when someone else helps them achieve everything, particularly if that someone is from a different race and socioeconomic background, and also says "Ya'll" in casual conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your love of country stars, Amanda. That was a great line, too...maybe that's why I liked it so much (it was all about my fellow Republicans ;-) ).

    And Eric, I laughed quite a bit at the truth behind your veiled humor. That being said, although the movie is pure fluff, every now and then, fluff is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, yep it can't be helped and Tim McGraw is one the tops on my list. There's some Kenny Chesney concert in April I heard, I can't wait for you to watch that! lol. I was quite fond of any of the lines relating to democrats and how it shows how the south has shifted over the years. I thought you would enjoy them just as much as me.

    ReplyDelete